FORUMS: list search recent posts

can't import or link to AMA- MC 7 - ProRES 444

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Cartolaro
can't import or link to AMA- MC 7 - ProRES 444
on Sep 29, 2016 at 1:37:54 pm

Hi there!
I am trying to import Drone-footage that was shot on a Panasonic Lumix G4, so it is shot in 1080p ProRes 444-File. And I am working on a relatively old IMAC 2010 (ElCapitan 10.11.4). Hard drive connected via USB-Port-
It won't import into MC7 (apart from one clip) and won't link to AMA. I took it already from its original location on the harddrive, because I thought it could be that I am writing and reading from just one harddrive! What happens is, that it just loads for ages and goes into a sort of freeze or the system chrashes,saying that it doesn't support the file and that a serious error has occured. But actually I managed to import one clip already, that seems to play fine. What could be the reason? MC 7 too old? Is it ProRes?
Should I make ProRes-Proxy files with MPEGStreamclip and try and load them?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: can't import or link to AMA- MC 7 - ProRES 444
on Sep 29, 2016 at 6:09:49 pm

That camera doesn't shoot ProRes. It shoots H.264 MOV files, or MP4 files (AVCHD), depending on the resolution you shot. You need to install and then manually choose the AVCHD AMA plugin, if the footage is AVCHD (.MP4), or use the Quicktime plugin if the footage is .MOV

[Nat Cartolaro] "I took it already from its original location on the harddrive, because I thought it could be that I am writing and reading from just one harddrive!"

So you separated out the video files from the rest of the camera card structure? That's an issue. AMA link works best, or sometimes ONLY works if the footage is in the full card structure of the backup. Move anything and it can't link.

Another issue is that you are running Avid MC 7 on Mac OS 10.11. The highest OS that MC 7 can go to is 10.10...and that's only if you have 7.0.4.2 Other than that, you should be on 10.7, 10.8 or max, 10.9. Avid version Matrix:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_U...

[Nat Cartolaro] "Should I make ProRes-Proxy files with MPEGStreamclip and try and load them?"

No. You'll never be able to link back to the source for making full quality versions.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nat Cartolaro
Re: can't import or link to AMA- MC 7 - AVCHD
on Sep 29, 2016 at 9:05:44 pm

Hi Shane,

thank you for responding. Sorry!
Of course you are right concerning the cameras recording format. I just got confused because two clips actually were imported into Avid but got transcoded INTO ProRes, because the rest of the project is ProRes! Apart from this issue now Avid7 workes fine under ElCapitan! The AVCHD-Plugin should be installed, can't download it from Avid unfortunately.

I haven't separated the footage from the actual location, just moved the whole bin of Drone-Footage to a different place, so the structure is intact. And I am just importing a clip now, that seems to work. So maybe it was really the problem of having the same location to read and write?

Natascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]