AVID MC 6,5 to version 8 and back again
on Sep 27, 2016 at 2:23:08 pm

SYSTEM SPECS

HP Z400 workstation
processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3680 @ 3.33GHz
RAM 12GB
64-bit operating system
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

I'm running on MC 6,5 right now, and it looks like I have to upgrade to 8 to allow for functionality on 1 project, but want to go back to 6,5 when I'm done, partly because I'm not even sure that my PC can handle 8 for larger projects.

When I try and install 8 I'm told that my pc has to uninstall 6,5 first. Is that necessary? If I do have to stick with 8, are there any consequences on projects begun in 6,5 when opened with 8?

Thank you in advance.
Phil

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: AVID MC 6,5 to version 8 and back again
on Sep 27, 2016 at 2:44:57 pm

You should feel pretty safe. Any effects that 6.5 doesn't have, obviously won't come back, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would trip you up.

If any issue were to arise with the project as a whole, you would be able to open individual bins in old versions of Avid.

In all honesty, I don't think you will want to go back. AMA is 10 times better. New timeline functionality, browser window...lots of good stuff to make you want to stay.

I don't think you will find any underpower issues either. Avids shell is pretty much the same. (playing ama might be the exception, but that would be tied to your drive speed as much as anything.)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:21:16 pm

A few things...

The OS that supports 6.5 wont' support MC 8. And once you update to that OS for 8, MC 6.5 won't work. So you'll have to make a new partition, or install another drive and have a different OS on it.

You'll need to buy MC 8. Not sure if there is an upgrade path from MC 6.5, I dont' think there is. So you'll have to do a month to month with Avid MC8. If you do that, then you wont have to uninstall, as you'll be on a different hard drive, and have a "new" copy of MC8...MC6.5 will be left alone.

Avid is very good about working on computers that aren't "top of the line." Because it works with Avid media, compressed small to not be a burden on the system. And doesn't rely on LOTS of RAM or really fast processors for day-to-day editing. Unlike other apps that need lots of system resources to do work properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Jandaly
on Sep 28, 2016 at 7:21:55 am

Hey Shane.

I held my breath and installed the trial of 8 and so far no problems. (also uninstalled 6.5). FYI There were no OS conflicts or upgrades.

Your "partition" plan was a good one. I guess it's been a while since I thought that way, so I spaced on it.

Aside from that, smooth sailing, except the Prores AMA playback is staggered (as in 6.5), but that's got everything to do with my processor. Staggered or not, it still plays. I just have to use my proxy instead.

Thanks for your input!
P

Return to posts index

Phil Jandaly
on Sep 28, 2016 at 7:18:18 am

Thank you!

I went ahead and installed MC8. Seems to be running fine. The lightweight project I needed it for is running fine, whether the heavier ones do remains to be seen. That (and monetary issues) will decide whether I go back to 6.5 or not.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.
P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]