FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNxHR 444 performance on a new HP ZBook 17 G3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Christopher Loya
DNxHR 444 performance on a new HP ZBook 17 G3
on Aug 28, 2016 at 7:40:35 pm

I've just ordered an HP's Zbook (32 GB RAM, Nvidia M4000M, Xeon quad-core processor) and I am curious as to whether it has enough power as a stand-alone mobile workstation to allow for the easy editing of the highest end DNx footage...

Just completed a shoot on Red RAW (23.97 fps), and at my request, the DIT is converting it to DNxHR 444 (44.39 MB/s) proxies. I'm going to be out of my main bay for most of the month, and I'm hoping to be able to at least edit the film away from the office.

I've scoured the web, and haven't found anything that can answer this question...

If anyone has any direct editing experience with the HP Zbook and its limitations, I'd be so grateful to hear about it.

Thank you!!!!

David Christopher Loya

David Christopher Loya
Vision4Media Entertainment
a "Conscious Filmmaker"® Company

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: DNxHR 444 performance on a new HP ZBook 17 G3
on Aug 28, 2016 at 9:15:44 pm

What types of drives, size and connection to the ZBook will you have? USB 3?
  • Have you tested drive speed?
  • How many streams of video do you need (complex timeline or not with layers?
  • Multicam?
  • Are you planning on using the DNxHR 444 for final conform and color, or are you going back to the R3D's when done?
  • Are these UHD or other resolution?
  • Will you be editing in 1/4 proxy once project is created?
  • Are these double system audio How many audio tracks?
  • Will there be LUTs applied to the DNxHR or will color baked in?

Michael

Return to posts index

David Christopher Loya
on Aug 28, 2016 at 9:55:11 pm

Thank you, Michael, for your response... Those are good questions... I should have mentioned drives... .

For this portable system, I have a desktop Studio XL RAID using a Thunderbolt 2 interface- so, there's plenty of bandwidth on that end.... With the exception of any plug-in effects, which there will be very few, I'll be cutting a single video stream ... Up to six channels of audio.... The DNxHR 444 resolution I'll be using is 2k only... which as mentioned requires a 44.39 MB/s bandwidth. Color will be baked in... I don't anticipate using any LUTs.

I'd of course welcome any insight you may have as to whether the system config as outlined here and in my original post can handle the DNxHR proxy I'll be using... My concern isn't about drive transfer speed... It's really about the laptop's processing capability.

David Christopher Loya

David Christopher Loya

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 29, 2016 at 6:30:55 pm

My guess is you'll be all right as you have plenty of RAM, your drives are fast enough, and Media Composer doesn't make as much use of the GPU as other applications. Other than the need to work at 4444 DNxHR for editorial other than finishing directly from those files, which is more out of curiosity than anything else. Do you have any IO attached?

Michael

Return to posts index

David Christopher Loya
on Aug 30, 2016 at 6:10:21 pm

Michael, no DNxIO will be attached... That's why I was asking the question... I've since conducted some deep research into the capabilities and data bandwidth of the processor and the GPU.... That, combined with the speed of the drives, makes me think that there's no reason why the laptop as configured wouldn't be able to handle editing a twenty minutes short feature using DNxHR 444 for 2k resolution...

Thanks so much for your time and your responses.

David Christopher Loya

David Christopher Loya

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]