FORUMS: list search recent posts

Documentary filmed with various DSLR cameras and editing in MC7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasja Mihelcic
Documentary filmed with various DSLR cameras and editing in MC7
on Aug 24, 2016 at 7:34:08 am

Dear Colleagues,

I,m working on 52. min. documentary from several footage sources. ( Canon 5D mkIII, Canon 550D, GoPro hero 4 silver...)
So we are dealing with DSLR footage and not so loved H.264 codec. It is a type of reflexive and Performativ documentary shoot in 1080p 25 fps PAL. The material was shot in different fps so I intend to transcode all the material to DNxHD 120 (I have enough dsk space) and AMA link them. I do not intend to mix different cameras together. The scenes were shot with individual cameras.
Camera setting:
Gopro hero 4 : Protun on, flat colours 25fps, 1080p
Canon: default factory setting, flat colour. 25fps, 1080p
Some footage in 23.98fps, 29fps...
WB has to be done in Postproduction.

I will export in Apple Proress 422 for private screening purposes. This codec will be then transcoded for Vimeo h.264, the presets are known.

Some of the Gopro footage doesn't play smooth - fluid especially when the camera is moving. Is there a work around it? - effect in MC7?
Are there any settings after editing, grading, effect applied on footage in MC7 to export the project.
After grading and some picture effect applied the project goes in to Apple Motion 5 for some additional work.
Should I import the final project back to MC7 and export it again or Motion 5 export settings are ok?

I thank you for any tips and tricks for achieving the best visual look of the documentary I wish.

VM

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Documentary filmed with various DSLR cameras and editing in MC7
on Aug 24, 2016 at 2:22:41 pm

The usual questions that go along with these type of projects:

1. Are the different frame rates intended for slow motion (or fast motion)?
2. Are you finishing in Media Composer and do not need to conform in another system at some point?
3. What frame rate is the GoPro footage that does not play smooth?
4. Are you grading the DNxHD 120 material or camera originals?

Transcoding to a target frame rate 25p from other frame rates gets a motion effect applied that may or may not look best for your needs. For example, a 50p can be transcoded "blended" or "drop every other frame". Each have their own look.

Michael

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Aug 24, 2016 at 7:29:37 pm

Hello Michael,

1. All the footage is transcoded and mostly filmed in 25fps 1080p, no slow or fast motions.
2. Finishing in Media composer than goes in to Apple Motion 5.
3. Gopro hero 4 silver, 25 fps, 1080p, Protune on, flat colours. When the camera moves. Hand held on monopod.
4. All the files are in DnxHD 120, 25fps. Did it with Sorenson Squeeze.

Not so worried for other footage just Gopro. It is a visualisation that I wanted to achieve. But this movement are not smooth. With stabilisation effect is great but with this problem that I mentioned.

Thanks for replaying,

Vasja

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 25, 2016 at 6:07:08 pm

Without actually seeing it , it is hard to say what you are trying to fix. Is it a stabilization issue? Or a frame rate capture issue where shutter speed versus frame rate might be giving it a choppy look?

Michael

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Aug 25, 2016 at 9:12:20 pm

It is the second thing? Is there a way around it...special filter or application program?third party? or something in MC7.
. It is not so bad but when moving the camera you see it and it is not smooth...like left to right movement- panorama.
Mostly is made from hand the filming.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 25, 2016 at 9:22:56 pm

You add motion blur via different plug-in or motion effects. In this case you don't want to change speed, just how the content motion looks. One example: http://revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]