FORUMS: list search recent posts

Commercial Conform Timeline

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Rush
Commercial Conform Timeline
on Aug 2, 2016 at 12:12:54 am

Hello. I've been looking at some jobs as an assistant editor using MC.
I've done conforming in Premiere but Media Composer, obviously some differences.

Usually I export an OMF for sound, and an AAF plus a reference video for color, and then bring in back into new bins and create a new sequence.

I am most interested in commercial jobs, so if anyone could simply share their workflow with conforming a timeline, any resolution, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Commercial Conform Timeline
on Aug 4, 2016 at 7:18:27 pm

The issue is that there are countless workflows for many situations. Shooting tape...capturing offline, conform to full res online. Shoot tapeless, AMA link transcode offline, relink online. Shoot tapeless, use RESOLVE or other third party app to make dailies, offline in Avid, online in Resolve or other. AMA link in Avid, offline cut, online in Scratch. Import stock footage with timecode, reimport master footage and manually overcut. MANY different ways of doing things. And a lot of shops have their own ways.

And trying to describe in a post a full workflow is tough. Typically something that you sit down and talk people through. I mean, hitting the bullet points is something easy to do...like "AMA link to tapeless masters, transcode to DNx36...edit, lock picture...take DNx36 media offline, reconnect drive with original footage, select your sequence, open all the AMA bins, choose RELINK and select the AMA option and ALL OPEN BINS." That's one way. But again, there are countless ways, and often mixtures of methods. SOme places even use something like CONTENT AGENT to transcode everything to full res, then trancode to 14:1...edit with that...then relink to the transcoded footage, not the original masters. And then need to deal with the stock footage and photos used in the show by importing full res and manually recutting in.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christian Rush
on Aug 4, 2016 at 9:14:09 pm

You pretty much described it well in that second paragraph.
I'm just assuming most of the time you wouldn't import files like RED folders and transcode in MC. I usually make/get my dailies from Resolve and import the Native Codec files.

I guess what I really want to know about is conforming a timeline AFTER the edit is done. So how to conform lets say, a 1080p timeline to a 4k that started off with offline media, and make it into an online timeline and up the resolution. Does that make sense or am I going all over the place?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2016 at 9:22:16 pm

[Christian Rush] "I'm just assuming most of the time you wouldn't import files like RED folders and transcode in MC"

Some use Redcine, some use Resolve, some use Avid. All depends on how the show will be onlined.

[Christian Rush] "I guess what I really want to know about is conforming a timeline AFTER the edit is done"

That's what I described. BEFORE edit...AMA link and transcode to offline media, DNx36 or 14:1. Or create the video with Redcine or Resolve. Then edit. After edit is done, how you conform ALL DEPENDS on how you will online. If you will online with Avid, and you AMA linked and transcoded with Avid...you then take the offline media "offline," connect the main drive, and relink to the AMA files. Some people do this, and then send to Resolve. That's what you do if you originally AMA linked and transcoded. If you used RESOLVE to create the proxies, you then send an AAF to REsolve and it'll relink to the original media. You can also send an AAF to Resolve if you used AMA to link media...just populate the media pool with all the media first. If you cut offline at 1080p DNx, and online at 4K...then you just relink in a 4K project in Avid...or use Resolve...lots of options.

What you do all depends on the post workflow map. How are you making dailies...what you are transcoding to...how you will online...what you will deliver.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]