FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio clipping across match-frame edits?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Audio clipping across match-frame edits?
on Aug 1, 2016 at 11:55:41 am

Hello there,

I've been working in Avid for a few years and I think this is the first time I've come across this.

I'm an offline editor, and when I'm cutting, I do my rough audio mixing by adding match frame edits on the music tracks, dipping them and adding cross-fades across those edits.This has worked just fine for me for years, and I find it much quicker than adding and manipulating keyframes.

However on my current project I'm noticing that I'm having issues. Across a lot of these edits I'm hearing what sound like very slight skips, or audio pops, as if the audio either side of the edit have slipped back or forward a frame even though it's a match frame edit.

I'm working in MC v8.4.2 on windows. Anyone got any ideas? I'd rather not have to go back and re-do all this mixing with keyframes if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Audio clipping across match-frame edits?
on Aug 1, 2016 at 3:13:40 pm

I, like you have used this technique for a long time. (i started on Avid in 95, and that was how i learnt to use audio on the timeline...still do it to this day)

I am now running box on 8.5, one on 8.6 and haven't seen an issue.

Are you hearing the pop after you add a dissolve?

I will occasionally hear a pop on an audio edit if you are not at a 0 point crossing in the audio, but usually a 1 frame dissolve will fix that.

do you hear a pop if you do an add edit, but don't adjust levels on either side?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Aug 3, 2016 at 1:23:59 pm

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response. I don't get any pops or jumps when the levels are the same on both sides of the cut. It's only noticeable when I have a cut, with different levels on each side, and a crossfade across the cut.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:00:44 pm

weird...I am not seeing that.

Are you linking to media, or is it avid created media. Perhaps just a lag from linked media?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:32:18 pm

Nope, these are audio files that have been imported into the Avid. Just to confirm, I tried adding a match frame edit on a music track that had no percussion, just a droney soundscape, and there is definitely, very audible clipping at the start and end of the cross fade. If i take the crossfade off, I can still hear clipping, and most strangely, if I set the audio levels on the track back to the same levels, I STILL hear clipping across the cut.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Aug 10, 2016 at 7:08:12 am

Did you render them?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]