FORUMS: list search recent posts

VFX Sequence EDL's Outside of AVID - Relink to original QT's in AVID or other NLE system?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Lindblad
VFX Sequence EDL's Outside of AVID - Relink to original QT's in AVID or other NLE system?
on Jul 26, 2016 at 6:07:09 pm

So I am new here but thought someone might be able to offer some advice. I am a VFX Editor and on a weekly basis have to create string outs of hundreds of VFX shots to cut length and create an EDL and reference QT for our DI facility for 2K screening reviews. Workflow is generally, import vendor submission QT's (AVID DNxHD 115 codec in a 1080p/23.976 AVID project), cut the shots into the reels, copy cuts at cut length into a sequence and export EDL and QT reference. Thinking this was a huge time suck, I have been able to successfully create an EDL from my FileMaker database. I am wondering if now there is a way I can take that EDL and relink it to the media I have in the AVID? I have also tried to relink the EDL via Final Cut, Premiere and Resolve to the original QT'S with no luck. Is there something missing or is this an impossible task? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: VFX Sequence EDL's Outside of AVID - Relink to original QT's in AVID or other NLE system?
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:01:44 pm

You should be able to. The question I have is, are you trying to add metadata to existing clips in Media Composer, or create new master clips from the EDL that link to media that already exists in Media Composer?

If you want to send a bin with the clips you want to link to, and a sample EDL to me, I will take a look. Send to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Jordan Lindblad
Re: VFX Sequence EDL's Outside of AVID - Relink to original QT's in AVID or other NLE system?
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:19:27 pm

Michael,
Thanks for the reply. Not necessarily. Just trying to create a sequence in AVID or other NLE, to cut length, based off of the EDL (CMX_3600) I generated from FileMaker. All of the clip names are .mov file names and should match up to the clip names in the AVID or to the original vendor QT's we received. In AVID, I have no luck relinking. In FCP, I can relink the files, but since the EDL is to cut length and most of my shots start on frame 9, it shifts the start frame to the slate (frame 0) and changes the timecode in the sequence that was created from the EDL. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Unfortunately, security on the film I am working on is a bit tight so sending the files through is not an option. I can send the EDL through however.

Was also wondering if there is maybe a better way by taking the EDL and linking via AMA? Using a handy program called EDLSpy, I am able to take my EDL I have generated and locate the QT's we have on our server and transfer them to a specific folder. Would be a great way to work outside of the ISIS environment just to make the QT references the DI facility needs, while not tying up my main AVID. Just a thought if that is an easier approach.

Will post the EDL momentarily.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]