FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing LinkedTo sound after ISIS to iMac move...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Wright
Missing LinkedTo sound after ISIS to iMac move...
on Jul 19, 2016 at 3:24:09 pm

Hi,

My search skills may be weak, but I can’t find an answer to this specific issue. I haven’t had much cause to ask for help before either, as I’ve been cutting on Avid for twenty years, and am now even teaching it, so I should be able to troubleshoot most things. However, this one has got me stumped!

I was cutting a feature in June, and my two assistants and I spent the first five weeks on set on an ISIS system with three machines all running 8.5.2. My co-editor is now working with the director, and they have moved on to a standalone iMac, with the media all on a RAID-striped drive.

The problem is that they are missing sound from about 20 scenes (a quarter of the film!) These sound files do not show up in the Media Tool, so from initial investigations, it seems what’s happened is that over a week-long period, my assistants (or possibly I) accidentally Linked To rather than Imported the sound files, before AutoSyncing, sometimes Grouping with multiple cameras, and then assembling multiple versions of sequences for all of these 20 scenes. In transferring over from the ISIS Avids, it seems the iMac Avid has lost the links to this sound.

We do still have all the original sound files obviously. So of course we can re-Import all these sound files into Avid, and will no doubt need to do that anyway so they then exist as Avid Media within our project. And, worst case scenario, we could then manually relink them to the sequence.

But what I really want to do instead is somehow relink that freshly Imported audio to all the sync clips and groups clips and sequences we have already created. That would be a lot more useful and a lot less time-consuming for us.

Please please please somebody tell me this is possible! And thanks for reading this far!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Missing LinkedTo sound after ISIS to iMac move...
on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:32:02 pm

Put the clips with the missing audio into their own bin. Set Bin Display to show sources. Then for the related audio only clips, check DrivePath or other to see where it might have been. Ideally they were imported. In that case, select the audio only clips and do a batch import. This will keep all clips, sync, groups intact as you are just restoring the essence to the metadata and clip pointers.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nick Wright
on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:03:19 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for your suggestion. It's not actually showing a Drive path for the audio only clips, which I think suggests what I suspect - that the audio clips were Linked To, not Imported. I did try a Batch Import previously, but to no avail.

I feel like there should be some sort of Decompose / Unlink / Relink workflow that would do the job; I just can't figure it out completely...

Nick

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:14:58 pm

So in viewing "set bin display" with show reference clips enabled, it should deconstruct the clips to its original master clip components. And batch importing into those did not work? Very strange. I wonder if those clips need to be dragged to another bin first, before the batch import?

Michael

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:41:14 pm

We had a similar issue but I believe was specifically related to Facilis TerraBlock and not ISIS and was related to iMac and has been solved - Our missing audio was OMFI not MXF. Just throwing that out though I doubt it has any relevance to your issue.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Nick Wright
on Jul 20, 2016 at 9:03:15 am

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for that thought. I think our missing audio is neither OMFI or MXF at this stage; it's still just .wav, as recorded by the Tascam.

Return to posts index

Nick Wright
on Jul 20, 2016 at 9:01:41 am

Hi Michael,

No, it gives me the option to "Batch Re-import" from the Clip menu, but when I select that, whether I pick "Offline only" or "All clips", the result is "No clips to import"... Dragging them to another bin unfortunately made no difference either...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]