FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed framerate workflow in Avid 8.3.1

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Utard
Mixed framerate workflow in Avid 8.3.1
on Jul 16, 2016 at 10:43:50 am

So I tried to read a bit on the issue but some things are still unclear.

I have a documentary that have been shot over the course of 3 years, and the footage comes with different framerates : 25fps MXF from Canon C300, and 23,97fps and 29,97fps from a Canon 5D, plus some AVCHD that's also in 25fps.

We have an Isis storage system with plenty of room on it, and the plan was actually to AMA and then consolidate the media onto the server (no transcodes).

The "dominant" framerate is 25 fps, should we convert most of the other footage to 25 fps DNxHD and then log it all in AVID?

Or convert to DNxHD while maintaining the original framerate, and then have the mixed framerates on the timeline? Because 23,97 converted to 25 does look a bit choppy ...

Let me know if you need other additionnal information, any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Mixed framerate workflow in Avid 8.3.1
on Jul 16, 2016 at 3:12:42 pm

you might want to transcode the 5d stuff (H264?) I would keep the frame rate native for as long as possible. Allows a bit more flexibility when final online happens for tweaking settings.

As for what frame rate...what are your deliverables is usually a good place to start.

If you have to deliver a 25 fps master, than that is probably what you will want to work in.

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 16, 2016 at 4:04:41 pm

Agree with Glenn.

I'd retain the original frame rates, if possible. There is a performance penalty if you have a lot of motion adapters in your sequence, but you should be fine. May have to render more often as the timeline grows.
Nothing worse than finding out after you baked in the frame rate conversion in a transcode that there is ghosting or other artifacts that could easily be corrected by adjusting motion adapter settings.

Return to posts index

Frederic Utard
on Jul 17, 2016 at 9:55:07 am

Allright that sounds good, thanks a lot for your answers, I might ask more if other things pop up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]