FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Pan??

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Audio Pan??
on Jul 8, 2016 at 9:33:59 pm

I guess since getting 8.5 (shortly before 8.6 was released) I've been paying attention to video to the exclusion of changes in the audio portion. What's happened to the pan control? All I have on the music track is both sides saying "mid" so all I'm getting is Mono. Older projects still show the 100 percent left and 100 percent right, but can't find how to change them. Is it something I did wrong importing the music track?

Thanx in advance, guys.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Audio Pan??
on Jul 9, 2016 at 6:32:43 pm

Under Audio Settings, make sure you have your default pan set the way you had it before (either "all tracks centered" or "alternating L/R").
Even better, use stereo tracks. Clip->Modify->Set Multichannel Audio.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 11, 2016 at 4:01:14 pm

Thanx!
I don't mean to be stupid (which obviously I can be), but I've changed Audio Settings and still no ability to pan. Now the music track is in stereo, full left and full right, but the single VO track which had been centered is now panned full left. When I select the entire VO track and go to Clip>Audio>Center Pan it still stays in full left. There must be something extremely obvious that I'm missing, but remain clueless. Is there a fundamentally different way to pan in 8.5 that I'm not aware of?? My project is nearing its deadline and I must solve this quickly.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:16:24 pm
Last Edited By John Pale on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:17:17 pm

Not sure if this relates but this is in the "what's new" for 8.6

The Audio Setting “Default Pan for mono tracks” is a user setting that controls the following:
• Whenever a mono clip in a sequence has no pan information, this setting determines how it is panned.
• Whenever a mono source clip is edited into a sequence, the selected default plan is applied to the new clip in the sequence.
With this release, a sequence created entirely in Media Composer v8.6 or later will have pan information on every clip, so that when moving this sequence to another user’s workstation, it will play with the same pan as the originator, without regard to how the second user has configured the default pan. Sequences created before Media Composer v8.6, or sequences imported from non Media Composer sources, may still have audio clips that do not have pan information associated with them. These clips will still be played with the default pan.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v8.6.p...

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Audio Pan - Can this be true???
on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:10:14 pm

OK, so on 8.6 I can set the audio split to L-R but not only the music goes L-R... BUT the VO track, which was laid onto ONE track first has now gone 100 percent left track. The "hamburger" command "Remove Pan On Track From In" does nothing. Does this mean to get the (already heavily edited) VO track to the center I have to re-import it with the Audio Settings set to centered? Is there REALLY no way to pan this track? No pan knobs, no work-arounds?

My next step may be to have to export just the VO track and then re-import it into another track with the audio import set to centered. I seriously welcome any better ideas or anything I'm missing from the lack of pan knobs in both 8.5 and 8.6.

PLEASE tell me there is some switch or command somewhere to bring back the pan knobs.

Thanks, Gurus! This one has me stumped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]