FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating AVID Editing Suites

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Thompson
Updating AVID Editing Suites
on Jul 2, 2016 at 3:34:24 am

Hello CC network!

For starters we have 3 HP Z420 with Nitris DX Avid systems. Currently ingest and output to tape (BetaSP, DigiBeta, DV Cam) however will be going FBD later this year (I hope). The system got upgraded from adrenaline and mojo boxes a few years ago but a good majority of the original setup and workflow still remains. SD workflow with bits of HD every once in a while.

Over the last year I have run into a number of weird ways things were daisy chained or hooked up. I am wanting to pull everything out and start from scratch (making sure everything is hooked up correctly). For now I am just going to focus on 1 system or this post will get long.

I will upload a somewhat completed diagram of our main system. A few things to note about it, the Tektronix is now a WVR-5000 and the CVBS is no longer going to the Tek but straight to the CM240.

• All the patch panels are the standard well...patch panels. Would we be better upgrading to a router like the Blackmagic Smart VIDHub for flexibility especially if we decide to go HD later?
  • Is AES audio still the best for tape ingest and output or is SDI getting better? This will determine if the AES patch is still needed.
  • Is a mixer still needed in "todays" setup?
  • REFSync is there an easier and cleaner way of doing it vs what I have?

Also, video from the computer is being ran 25ft via VGA to 2 monitors, should we upgrade this to DVI?

Side note on equipment:
  • 2 Sony PVW-2800 Beta SP Decks
  • 1 Sony DVW-A500 DigiBeta
  • 1 Sony DVW-500 DigiBeta
  • 1 Sony DSR1500 DV Cam
  • 1 Sony DSR1500P
  • 2 Sony pvm8042b Monitor
  • 1 BVM-D14H4U (2 Analog and 1 digital card)
  • 1 AES Patch Panel
  • 1 SDI Patch Panel
  • 1 Analog Video Patch Panel
  • 1 Analog Audio Patch Panel

Sorry for the length of this post but any and all help is much much appreciated!
10253_avidawireingdiagram.pdf.zip

Return to posts index

Josh Phillippi
Re: Updating AVID Editing Suites
on Jul 2, 2016 at 4:50:27 am

Patrick-

First off all, let me compliment you on how detailed you were on the information you provided. I can appreciate the time and effort it took you and the consideration you are placing into the decision to upgrade and just how you choose to do so. I would love to talk to you further about your options and some suggestions I have. Please feel free to reach out to me directly, I am available over the weekend, as well as, regular business hours during the week to chat. Piston Media Group is a reseller & integrator for many technologies, including Avid. We have worked with and are currently working with a number of clients in your position. We would be happy to assist you, and at the very least, be a resource for information and answers for you. I have included my contact info below, again, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Josh Phillippi
CEO / Piston Media Group
(888) 829-7320x101
Cell: 818-318-8211
jp@pistonmediagroup.com
http://www.pistonmediagroup.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]