FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA 24fps to sync with 25fps

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kruszelnicki
AMA 24fps to sync with 25fps
on Jun 28, 2016 at 3:48:48 pm

Hello,

I have AMA linked 5k Red footage shot at 24fps in MC8.5 to a 25fps 1920 x 1080 project - which I chose due to the audio being supplied at 25fps and without any reliable re-time program available to me.

Is there a way apart from transcoding the video footage, to interpret 25fps and be able to sync with the audio to create 25fps subclips?

I can see that you can instruct MC to playback AMA video source files at 25fps.

I have timecode present on both video and audio with slates included.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

I have quite a large amount of footage which I could transcode if i have to, but I would have to do it all as I don't know which are the select takes so would take a long time. If re-time the audio if anyone can recommend a good free program?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Kruszelnicki
Re: AMA 24fps to sync with 25fps
on Jun 28, 2016 at 5:33:19 pm

I think I was making things too difficult and instead created a 24fps project as per the video and imported the audio at the same frame rate.

Does this have a destructive effect on the audio quality?

So far I have been unable to tell

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 28, 2016 at 7:23:21 pm

Audio doesn't have a frame rate...only sample rate. 44.1, 48...etc. So while the TIMECODE on it might be 25fps, it'll sync up with 24fps just fine...as you've discovered. Because it adopts the timecode and frame rate of the project you import...unless it was jammed sync'd with 25fps...which it sounds like it wasn't.

Nothing destructive happened...you are fine

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Kruszelnicki
on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:19:46 pm

Thanks for your reply Shane, that was a great help!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:35:23 pm

Did Avid ask you what timecode rate to assign when you imported?

Return to posts index

Alex Kruszelnicki
on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:54:50 am

Yes it did when i imported it into a 24fps project

Return to posts index

Alex Kruszelnicki
on Jun 29, 2016 at 2:21:24 pm

As a side question to my initial post, does anyone know the reason why, when you enter a timecode with the number pad that sometimes (probably about 50% of the time) that you are unable to straight away create an insert at that point and receive the error 'doorbell' noise?

I am syncing up my video and sound clips with autosync by matching the timecodes and whilst its not a major problem as I am able to close the clip monitor and re-open and insert, it is a little bit frustrating.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 3, 2016 at 7:22:20 am

You shouldn't change that timecode manually. If you need to alter timecodes to sync, copy the Start TC to an AuxTC column, modify that and sync based on that AuxTC.

Also, you should have told MC that the source has 25TC. Again, the TC rate does NOT change the playback speed.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:26:48 pm

[Alex Kruszelnicki] "Yes it did when i imported it into a 24fps project"

How did you answer ? 24 or 25?

Return to posts index

Alex Kruszelnicki
on Jul 2, 2016 at 1:31:05 pm

I answered 24fps - this seems to work now and I have been syncing the imported audio to the AMA linked 5k footage.

From these I have created sync sub clips that I have adjusted the source settings to match the 1920 x 1080 display of my project and started to edit with these, but with playback settings set to draft quality my computer is struggling to play the timeline smoothly.

I understand that editing directly with the AMA linked files would not be feasible on my system but that changing the source display settings to match a 1920 x 1080 project would help in some way to playback and edit them on the timeline and that avid does a realtime transcode or interpretation of sorts when you do this?

I thought about transcoding the synced subclips to something smaller but the only option I now have for these clips is to create a dnxhr 444 file which is massive.

Going forward is there a way to transcode my synced clips to something more edit friendly or should I have done this before syncing?

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Alex Kruszelnicki
on Jul 2, 2016 at 1:58:28 pm

I forgot - I had set the colour space to R709 on the project so that was why I couldn't export any other files

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]