FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non drop frame rushes modified to drop frame

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hill
Non drop frame rushes modified to drop frame
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:45:21 pm

Hello

I'm working on an American programme, being cut in the UK, where the there are two cameras: the master camera, which has been filmed drop frame and the slave camera which has been filmed in non drop. Yes - really.
I also have wav files that were ingested as non drop (:) by the edit house. I have modified these to drop (;) so I can now Autosync the wavs and the master camera.

My question is if I modify the slave camera from non drop to drop frame (this will allow me to then multi-group everything), will I create problems in the conform (I am working 10:1)?

I hope this makes sense - the edit house I'm working out of weren't too sure, hence this post.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Non drop frame rushes modified to drop frame
on Jun 15, 2016 at 3:27:07 am

Yes - the conform for the clips you changed will be off by 2 frames after the first minutes, etc. due to the different counting schemes. I haven't tried it, but can't you create a common timecode in one of the AuxTC columns and group based on that?

Michael

Return to posts index

David Hill
on Jun 15, 2016 at 6:52:58 am

Hi Michael

Appreciate the response - I thought that might be the case - just needed it confirmed. I've never used the Aux. Time code grouping so will look into it.
Getting people in the field to talk to each other would be a good start, too!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 16, 2016 at 6:55:53 am

Personally I'd have converted the drop frame to none drop frame and made a new master file of it. Then done all the post in non drop frame.
Drop frame only really has any use in the final playout.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

David Hill
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:03:29 am

Hi Pat

Thank you for your response - I wish the edit house had used that technique before I arrived!
It's not something I've ever done (converting to drop) - I've never seen it as an option on transcoding; may I be so cheeky as to ask how to do this, then I can tell the edit house. It's a long running project with many episodes and it would be good to have a fail-safe system.

Thanking you again

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]