FORUMS: list search recent posts

25fps footage in 24fps project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vicky Peters
25fps footage in 24fps project
on Jun 13, 2016 at 12:33:16 am

Hello,

I've seen different variations of posts on the same topic, but still unsure of what's best.

I'm assistant editing on a film that was mostly shot with an A Cam (Alexa) at 24 fps. The project is 1080 p 24fps, with 24fps sequences. However, there is a B Cam (Sony A7) that shot at both 23.98 and 25fps.

I transcoded the B Cam footage within this project. We are currently doing conform tests with the facility that will be doing the online in Baselight and I received feedback that the source timecode in the EDL doesn't match visually with the source timecode on the shot for the B Cam shots.

I have read of two options - transcoding the 23.98 and 25 in separate projects set at their respective framerates and then copying the bins over to my main project. However, wouldn't that leave me with a 24 fps sequence containing other framerates and would this cause problems when onlining?

The second option was to go into source settings and set the playback option to project framerate before transcoding within the 24fps project like I did - would this fix the problem?

There is also the alternative of transcoding in Resolve (and perhaps preferable as I can burn in meta-data) but the question still remains of whether I should transcode at the native fps of the footage or to 24 fps. I tried it with the 25fps transcoding to DNX 36 at 25fps, it conformed fine but it's ghosting in the offline sequence, which is also misleading when doing playouts for director etc.

Thanks so much for the help!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: 25fps footage in 24fps project
on Jun 13, 2016 at 1:39:19 pm

You'll need to speed up the 23.976fps footage to 24.000fps and slow down the 25fps to 24.000fps. You should not bake in any frame rate conversion. If you're on a recent version of MC you should be able to set a playback rate in Source Settings. If this is double system, sound will need to be treated separately.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 13, 2016 at 1:40:15 pm

And FWIW: whoever decided to use two additional frame rates for this has made a terrible call.

Return to posts index

Vicky Peters
on Jun 17, 2016 at 5:49:40 pm

Hi, thanks so much for your response. Seems to work now, but yes, the audio which was recorded separately (at 24 fps) cannot be synched now, the video drifts away. Is there a way to make the sound match up? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 17, 2016 at 8:36:37 pm

You need to change the sample rate on the recorded double system audio to be sped up or slowed down by the same amount as picture. This is done with Wave Agent (free) from Sound Devices. Here is a spreadsheet that I created that tells you what to see the sample rate to - in your case, you are looking for the "after" number.

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=195

Michael

Return to posts index

Vicky Peters
on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:17:53 pm

Hi Job! One last question regarding this problem - so when I hand over the EDL for conform and grade, do I re-set the playback rate to clip rate not project rate? I'm really nervous about the whole process, because we started editing with it at playback rate 25fps (or 23.98 fps, depending on the clip), but for viewing purposes, I have to change everything to playback at 24fps in order to not have any ghosting.

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]