FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion Connect for Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Fusion Connect for Avid
on Jun 12, 2016 at 9:03:22 pm

I was all excited after the announcement of Fusion 8.1 including Fusion Connect for Avid. I downloaded Fusion 8.1 (Free) and am running Avid Media Composer 8.5.3. I can not find the Fusion Connect AVX plug in anywhere! Does anyone have a link to it?

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Fusion Connect for Avid
on Jun 13, 2016 at 12:04:28 am

The announcement has caused a lot of confusion, as there was not a whole lot of specifics when first released. I "believe" the news was really about a new version of Avid Connect that also included OS X as it as Windows up to this release. But there is no new behavior as far as working with Media Composer and Fusion without an Avid DNxIO box. As far as Avid Product Management finally got around to saying, is that it was still needed unless you purchase Fusion Studio.

But you can find it on Blackmagicdesign.com/support.

I wish there were official Avid announcements when these things are released so that users know right off the bat what is available, and what works seeing as Avid supports the Avid branded Blackmagic IO box (DNxIO) and having the OS X version would be good to hear from Avid.

In the meantime, I blogged about using Resolve as an "Avid Connect" between MC and Fusion:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=291

Michael

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:54:58 am

Fusion connect is seperate download from BM. Find it in their support/downloads area.

On OSX, with free version & without DnxIO, it does not open the comp when you 'edit effect'. You have to navigate to and open that yoursel. Otherwise functionality seems to match paid version.

It does seem to require that you export files to a DI (DPX?) in order to have them be available in Fusion - it doesn't access avid media direct. I'm pretty sure that when I looked at this a few years ago (before BM purchase) this extra step was not necessary.

There is mention of an 'auto-render' setting that automates this but I've yet to try that.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 13, 2016 at 2:57:06 pm

Thanks. I must have missed the Connect download. I have it installed and now need to play with it a bit.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 15, 2016 at 2:11:01 pm

It seems to me there was a way of directly accessing avid media a few versions ago, but i always found it rather sketchy.
(media going offline inside fusion) I quickly just started exporting clips again.

Be aware that your organization will be key when exporting the intermediate clips. Connect will automatically create a directory structure for you when you add the plugin, but it is probably not where you want it to be. You can make your own (as I do) and export there, but the original structures are always getting created by Connect, which causes a bit of a mess in my opinion. I wish connect would not assume any directory structure, and instead ask you where you want it when you hit the export clips button.

Also, I'm still trying to determine how this works in a traditional offline/online situation. With connect you have a plug in on your timeline that is pointing to the comp and renders created by fusion. I'm not sure what happens here if i send this through an aaf to Resolve for color. Now that resolve can handle connect as well, perhaps it will be seamless...but i haven't tested that workflow, as i haven't jumped to 12.5 Resolve yet.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]