FORUMS: list search recent posts

LKFS Compliance on Symphony

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Stanger
LKFS Compliance on Symphony
on Jun 10, 2016 at 8:01:24 pm

What is the best, and hopefully most cost effective plug-in solution to assure LKFS compliance when exporting for broadcast?

Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: LKFS Compliance on Symphony
on Jun 10, 2016 at 8:50:06 pm

Since that is an audio thing, I'll wager you'll find better luck in the ProTools app, and forum if there is one. Avid does a lot of nice audio things, but it isn't, in the end, a final audio editing app. That's why Avid has ProTools.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad Stanger
on Jun 13, 2016 at 5:00:12 pm

Thanks Shane for your arrogant and misguided response. I will make sure to check your blog for all the latest misinformation.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 13, 2016 at 6:04:33 pm

We all get things wrong from time to time. I thought that it was something more audio related, and didn't know that Avid had added that capability to their picture editing app. This is why we have many people with multiple backgrounds who post here, so if one of us gets it wrong, another can come in and go, "actually, you can do this!" I for one am the first to be glad when I'm corrected and proven wrong. Nobody's perfect.

Although I DO need to learn not to speak up when I don't know the answer. In this case I thought I did. I was wrong. Thank you for being gentlemanly about it. And yes, at times I do come across as snarky. That I need to work on as well.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:19:03 pm

I don't think there's much difference, since this is just a measurement. I like Grimm Audio's LevelNorm. Works in MC, simple, effective, not expensive. It's meant to normalize any mix to the standard you require. So mix by ears, mixdown, add the plugin to normalize.
I like all Nugen plugins, so check out their LM Correct (more elaborate, higher price).
But there are many, many more options out there these days.
I seriously disagree you need PT for this.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:21:44 pm

I thought this was one of those finishing touch things...needing to make sure that loudness doesn't hit a certain level...to be compliant with some FCC Rule. Like in video, we can't be stroby due to epileptic issues. And in my google search I saw two hits where post facilities annouce that they are LKFS compliant. SO I thought it was a major thing.

Glad we have others to catch us when we are wrong

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 11, 2016 at 12:42:05 pm

Yes, it is usually to comply to CALM ATSC A/85 or EBU R128. But there are plugins meant to achieve that inside MC.

Return to posts index

Brad Stanger
on Jun 13, 2016 at 4:51:53 pm

Thanks for your response. I was looking into Grimm, went to their website and was going to download for a trial but then saw that MC was bundling with another plug in that dealt with LKFS compliance. I know it could do much more than normalize loudness, but the price! It made me think that Grimm might not be robust enough to handle the work flow because it is 10% of the price and I thought that I might run into a "you get what you pay for" scenario.

Thanks for your insight, I will give it a try.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:46:04 pm

I think MC has a trial version of iZotope Insight, which does not normalize your mix but rather is a metering system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]