FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio Quicktime Issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Waters
Aspect Ratio Quicktime Issue
on Jun 7, 2016 at 8:45:30 pm

Hi all,

So I have some footage that was filmed on the Macbook camera and its 1080 by 720. When I bring it into Avid (First I tried importing and then AMA linking) the footage looks squashed. Is there any way to change this? I tried transcoding the AMA linked footage to Apple Prores 422 and then exporting but it looks the same.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Aspect Ratio Quicktime Issue
on Jun 7, 2016 at 8:52:26 pm

1080x720? That's a really odd dimension. I'm used to 1920x1080, or 1280x720....those are standard formats for 1080 and 720. But 1080 BY 720? the camera records that?

Avid is designed to work with broadcast and film formats...and dimensions. And versions PRIOR to 8.5 only offered those frame sizes. Avid MC 8.5 allows for custom frame sizes. What version are you running?

If you have a previous version, then you'll have to use a 1280x720p project, and use the 3D WARP to adjust the image.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jun 8, 2016 at 1:22:00 pm

Yeah it's a very strange format. Quicktime Movie Inspector says:

Format: H.264, 1080 x 720
AAC, 44100 Hz, Mono
FPS: 30

I'm running Avid 8.5.3 but I want it to not look squished as it currently does. Eventually I'll be putting the video on YouTube.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:16:48 pm

Note that YouTube won't display that pixel dimension. YouTube does 16:9...period. If you have 4:3...it'll put black on the sides. Vertical cel phone video? Black on the sides. So the only way to deal with this video is to crop it, or squish it. No matter what, the first thing you need to do is convert it, as Avid can't edit that format without lagging. Issue is, that most codecs you can convert to don't really do those dimensions.

Hmmm....try this. Make a new project. Give it the custom dimensions of your existing video. AMA link to that and transcode to DNxHD. What format? Not sure what options it'll give...145 or 175 if you can. Then create a new project, 1280x720 30fps, and bring that bin containing that converted footage into that project. And edit in that project. You'll have to drop a 3D Warp on the image to make it look unsquished again, and then either zoom in, or have black on the sides.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:25:11 pm

After AMA-linking to the clip, open the Source Setting, go to FrameFlex, and choose "Letterbox/Pillarbox". This should prevent any transformations to fit the project's raster format.

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jun 9, 2016 at 2:54:10 pm

Hey thanks all the advice worked like a dream. I was only given the option of DNxHR and I had to sacrifice a portion of the frame when letter boxing and zooming in, but it does work really well.

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jun 10, 2016 at 3:56:25 pm

Hi just a quick question! The footage is in DNxHR right now but how do I export it with the highest settings possible?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 10, 2016 at 6:14:19 pm

You'd export a SAME AS SOURCE Quicktime.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jun 10, 2016 at 6:22:29 pm

I've tried that but it says: "Warning: No clips in the sequence were found to have resolutions supported for Same As Source QuickTime export. According to Media Creation Settings (Render tab), the sequence will be exported as: Custom, DNxHR LB, rather than Same As Source."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 10, 2016 at 6:25:32 pm

YOu might have one clip...or something in there that isn't that format. Either do a VIDEO MIXDOWN, and then export...or simply export. That's a good quality to export as...it is DNxHR like you converted things to.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jun 11, 2016 at 8:35:42 pm

Hey so I have a new issue which I didn't realize before until delving deep into the clips. After transcoding them (I've tried DNxHR and Pro Res) the footage stutters in the source and timeline window. When I export them the stutter is still the same.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 11, 2016 at 9:49:44 pm

What frame rate did you shoot? What frame rate are you converting to? Does the source stutter?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jun 11, 2016 at 10:18:35 pm

It was shot at 30fps and after AMA linking and transcoding I put it into a 1280x720 30fps project. It seems to only stutter when I bring in the bin from the original project with transcoded footage. The transcoded footage in the original project plays fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]