FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time-code display of original camera file name

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Federico Hidalgo
Time-code display of original camera file name
on Jun 3, 2016 at 1:17:50 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a project originally shot on BlackMagic Raw format. I transcoded these Raw files to DNxHD 36 to edit. Within Avid bins, I changed the original camera file names (Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera_1_2015-09-19_1032_C0001) to master clip names that were easier to edit with (SC1 TK2). I placed the original camera file names in a "Comments" column in each bin.

Now I am preparing to lock picture and AAF output to correct in Resolve. But I want my burn in Time-code (on my reference QT H.264) to include the original camera file names in one corner of the image. When I try to access these file names through the Timecode display options, I can't bring them in. There is no option in the Timecode display settings for the "Comments" column that I created with these filenames. I have tried accessing the original file names through "Tape" but that has not worked.

Is my only option to go back and replace each master clip name with the original camera file name? Obviously this would be very time-consuming. Ideally, there is a way to add my "Comments" column as an option for display in the burn-in filter, or to access the original file names through some other metadata route.

Thank you,

FH

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Time-code display of original camera file name
on Jun 3, 2016 at 5:05:16 pm

The only COMMENTS field that shows up is the one you see when you are in SCRIPT mode. That big box. Try copy/pasting into there.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Federico Hidalgo
on Jun 3, 2016 at 6:36:24 pm

Hi,

Yes, in SCRIPT mode the original file names are already showing in the Comments box for the Master Clips, not for the Subclips (which are what is in the timeline). But I still can't access this file name through the Timecode Effect Editor.

I tried pasting the file name into the subclip comment box (in SCRIPT mode), but this info still doesn't show up in the Timecode Effect Editor.

Thanks

FH

Return to posts index

Federico Hidalgo
on Jun 3, 2016 at 8:40:03 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got the Time-code display to show the original filenames. I did as you suggested and cut / paste a couple of the original camera filenames from the Masterclip comments box into the Subclip comments box, while in SCRIPT mode.

Then in the Effects Editor, I chose Source Bin Column, and in the drop down menu, Custom Property. In the text box, I wrote "Comments."

This did the trick. The original file name showed up in the burn-in display of the clip I had added the comment to.. Avid then apparently linked all the Masterclip "comments" boxes to the Subclip "comments" boxes automatically, so all the original file names appeared on the display from beginning to end of the timeline. I did not need to copy/paste anything else. Problem solved.

Thanks again for the Script mode tip,

FH

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:25:28 pm

My thoughts for future use:

1. Remember to rename prefix in the camera to something more useful than: "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera_" That's a lot of characters wasting space adding no value. Even just the letter "A_" (for A camera) or A_Camera_ would work just as well.
2. Consider renaming the files before you do any work at all in Resolve or Media Composer. Any file renaming program can do a text replace of "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera" to something more useful.
3. In Media Composer, duplicate the original DNG file name to the Camroll or Labroll as those work very well, can be re-purposed in an EDL if needed, and are east to select for the TC Generator to use.

Michael

Return to posts index

Federico Hidalgo
on Jun 4, 2016 at 1:51:17 pm

Thanks, I will definitely incorporate these tips into future projects. What do you mean by "re-purposed" in an EDL?

FH

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 4, 2016 at 1:58:58 pm

Some workflows and applications may not support AAF. EDL Manager allows you to use different columns as source - they are Labroll, Camroll, and SoundRoll. Or you need to create a pull list, etc.

In this scenario, dailies being done in Resolve, you have the option of either embedded to file name to be designated as REEL which then becomes TAPE in Avid media. So your original source can be tracked via that column regardless of what NAME column is changed to. As Pat points out, if this is the case, the Timecode Generator should be able to display that column as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 4, 2016 at 8:35:45 am

Each clip should have source name as an option.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Federico Hidalgo
on Jun 4, 2016 at 1:59:32 pm

Hi,
Where can this "Source name" option be accessed for each clip?
Thanks,

FH

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 4, 2016 at 2:06:38 pm

Source file and source path are both default Avid columns. Just choose them in the bin display.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 4, 2016 at 2:23:20 pm

Depending on how media was accessed or created it will either be in one of these two columns:

Tape
Source File

I usually create a bin view called Source that has these two columns, image size, codec, etc. that I can switch to when needed.

The "Tape" field gets populated when:
  • Media is captured from a tape source, live video signal, etc.

• Media is created in a third party application like Resolve and other "dailies" products

• Source File gets populated:
  • Media is imported to accessed via an AMA plug-in via the Link process

• The above is true for all video based workflows. Note that AMA always uses the filename and does not support any embedded REEL IDs

When working with WAV from production audio, production can assign a "Tape" into the files (legacy) and when linking to WAV, those clips will have both Source File and Tape as well as TapeID. Typically I duplicate the TapeID into the SoundRoll column.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]