FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidation mess

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Keating
Consolidation mess
on May 25, 2016 at 11:49:16 am

Hi and thanks for your help.

I am attempting to consolidate a large bin. I leave the process to work overnight but then an error interrupts it at some point. Now how do I determine which files have been transcoded already?

I have selected the option of making new links during the consolidation process. This leaves me with two sets of the same file in the same bin?

I know that I could sort by name and it will show me the files side by side. but then I would have to go in and select each file that has not been duplicated. Is there an easier way to do this. I tried clicking the button Skip media already on target drive. It still makes a double of the file.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Consolidation mess
on May 25, 2016 at 1:30:35 pm

Strange that "skip files on target drive" doesn't work as that is exactly what it's for in this situation. :(

That being said, one suggestion: sort by name, then grab all the clips that now have two files: (clip and clip.new) and move them to a new empty bin. Sort by creation date, and move them up to other bins that way till the original bin has all been transcoded.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 26, 2016 at 9:01:18 am

Rather than do one massive consolidate task why not do it in smaller bite sizes.

If you select a batch of clips and move to a temp bin 01 then set off a background consolidate.
Then do the same with the next batch into a new bin temp bin 02 and set off another background consolidate.
And so forth.

Should you have an issue only the current bin will need sorting. Those that completed are done. Those not started need to be re-started (but often after a restart the background process restarts fine.

Background processing at least has a queue you can monitor and restart.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 26, 2016 at 1:52:36 pm

That is the one major advantage of background transcoding.
You can see what it has done, and see which clips (if any) failed.
Select them and redirect.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]