FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve > Avid Off/Online workflow - Clarification for a beginner

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Sherring
Davinci Resolve > Avid Off/Online workflow - Clarification for a beginner
on May 25, 2016 at 5:14:58 am

Hey CC community,

if I wanted to do an offline edit in Avid, with the natives living in Davinci Resolve, how should I go about doing that? I'd want to bring the final edit into Resolve for grading. I did a successful test with PPro and bringing in an AAF, but it's not as simple with Avid it seems.

My footage is sourced from a Blackmagic 4K, and ProRes 422 footage, from my attempts so far, seems to have its gamma effected (the footage goes quite grey) when brought into Avid. I read its something to do with how Avid specifically deals with ProRes 422. I know there's no direct importing footage into Avid like one does with PPro and FC, as Avid automatically transcodes it, so the gamma incident happens during this automatic transcode. I tried this with the natives, as well as the proxy footage I created through Resolve. What would be the optimal codec for the Resolve proxy files to bring into Avid? And then, what process would I need to do to bring those proxy's into Avid? I'm a bit lost with the AMA and in house Avid transcoding.

Unless, besides all this, it's a better option to just begin the whole process in Avid, and only head over to Resolve once I have picture lock, just exporting the master sequence with 4K footage out of Avid and into Resolve for the grade, and then exporting the final cut. After all of that, I guess then I'd be able to send it off to the external sound mixer to do his thing.

Sorry for the essay. My thanks in advance for your help.
Rhys.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Davinci Resolve > Avid Off/Online workflow - Clarification for a beginner
on May 25, 2016 at 7:42:03 pm

how grey is grey? I've done tons of stuff with pro res source on Avid and haven't had any issues. Check your source settings on a clip in Avid and see if there is a color management being applied, or is suppose if you can apply a rec709 to help it look better.
This could depend on how it was flagged in the creation program.

As for linking, if your drives are fast enough you should be able to ama link to those prores files and start cutting.

You can also do an import, and if the prores files are the same setup as your project, Avid should do a fast import, which basically copies the clips to the avid media directory so you can start working.

If you want to make media in resolve for avid, mxf is usually a good choice. do a search for how to turn on the proper naming conventions so that the footage retains the proper metadata. (timecode and file name) or the trip back to resolve will be a pain in the butt.

DNX HD quicktimes should also work fine, and should also do a fast import.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]