FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem exporting AAF

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sonya Dudnik
Problem exporting AAF
on May 23, 2016 at 3:00:07 am

Hello!
I'm having troubles while trying to export an AAF from Avid MC 8.4.4 for color grading in DaVinci Resolve on another computer
My media are Sony camera files which I linked to AMA, then transcoded to DnxHD 185x
In AAF export options I choose:
export method: Consolidate Media (handles lenght 25 frames)
media destination: Folder (use same folder as AAF)

The following error message keeps popping up:
'Some destinations specified in the export options are not available:
Destination for consolidated, transcoded, mixed-down, or copied video media is not currently available
Please select valid (online) media destinations'

I'd really appreciate any piece of advice !

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Problem exporting AAF
on May 23, 2016 at 12:29:38 pm

Are you trying to copy your transcoded media to a target drive and color correct that, or are you planning on conforming and color correcting the Sony camera files? Depending on your need, your AAF export will have different settings.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sonya Dudnik
on May 23, 2016 at 3:15:30 pm

thanks you for your answer Michael! this problem is already solved! (it was export permissions issue, I redirected my export from desktop to an external hard drive and it worked!) now I'm facing yet another trouble, would really appreciate some help!
I have my sequence transcoded to DnxHD 185x, but the colorist is now asking for DnxHD 444.
I cannot figure out what would be the most appropriate codec to transcode to given that my original footage is Sony MXF files in AVC Intra 10 bits 4:2:2????
thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 23, 2016 at 3:24:02 pm

This kind of gets back to the original question, but it seems that the colorist does not want to conform to camera originals, but have you conform back to camera originals and transcode to DNxHD 444. I too question the need for RGB-709 4444 considering your source material. Is this something you can ask the colorist his or her reasoning?

If there is a reason, then you would have to conform back to the Sony camera files, then transcode the sequence to DNxHD 444. I would change the name of your current "Avid MediaFiles" folder to "xAvid MediaFiles" so they go offine. Relink via AMA and transcode with handles. Then you have all the DNx material ready to go.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sonya Dudnik
on May 23, 2016 at 8:02:27 pm

Yes, I did conform to camera originals (manually, without relink function).
the thing is, Avid doesn't propose anything that looks like DnxHD 444 in transcoding options...
Those are the options:
- While exporting AAF, what I can transcode to:

- When checking on what I can transcode my original media to, in Consolidate/Transcode window:
1) if I choose Source Dimensions:

2). OR Project dimensions (proxy off)

So I'm a bit lost here. which codec would be the closest to DnxHD 444?... He also said that Apple Prores 444 would do, but I guess it would be more painful to get the AAF back into Avid once the color grading is over, since Dnx is the native Avid codec.
The colorist in offline now, we are on different continents.
Thank you for your answer again, Michael!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 23, 2016 at 8:07:17 pm

You need to change your project type in the format tab to RGB-709, then you will have those codecs available to you.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sonya Dudnik
on May 23, 2016 at 8:27:19 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
the solution was so obvious)))

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]