FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do You Move Audio In Timeline to Another Track?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabrielle Mitchell
How Do You Move Audio In Timeline to Another Track?
on May 22, 2016 at 7:24:07 pm

I'm learning Avid Media Composer using Lynda. However, I'm also working on a project. The project has external audio recorded, and I want to sync it with the video, but I can't seem to move the clean audio in the timeline to another track. I'm use to using FCP and Premiere, so this is a bit frustrating to me.

Thanks in advanced for any help with this.

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: How Do You Move Audio In Timeline to Another Track?
on May 23, 2016 at 8:13:43 am

With smart tool enabled just click to select the audio element of the clip. (ensure the grouping option is off above the smart tool selection or you will select Video and audio. But that shouldn't happen if the audio has no video)
When you click if you have both yellow and red arrows enabled in the smart tool you should see the arrow yellow when hovering at the bottom of the clip and red at the top.
Yellow will cause the clip to move in a ripple insert manner. red is overwrite.
Once selected just click and drag up or down to move between tracks.
The ctrl key will latch the clip in position if you need to maintain its timing. Alt will cause it to duplicate the clip.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 23, 2016 at 2:13:50 pm

In 8.5 Avid will automatically create a new audio or video track for you, in 8.4 I believe you had to do this yourself, if there was no track available.

If the audio you are trying to move is dual mono, and the available tracks are stereo, you will have to make a couple of mono tracks before you can move the audio.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
on May 23, 2016 at 2:42:33 pm

Thanks for the tip about the control and alt keys. Didn't know that one.

Roger

Return to posts index

Gabrielle Mitchell
on May 25, 2016 at 2:21:28 am
Last Edited By Gabrielle Mitchell on May 25, 2016 at 2:25:24 am

Thank you for your response. I ended up just syncing the audio properly before placing it on the timeline. Now I'm trying to move music to a new track, and even while following your instructions it's the most frustrating thing (I'm more of a visual learner). I think me and avid are not going to bond anymore after this. I do like a lot of elements in avid but I deeply wish somethings were more intuitive... I can't even find any tutorials on moving audio in the timeline...

Update: So I just figured out how to do this, as mentioned above, I had to make a few more tracks, then I was able to move the audio down. *sigh* Thank you all for your help! Maybe, just maybe I will continue to use avid, I'm not totally convinced it's a better workflow than FCP 7 or X (yet).

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 25, 2016 at 2:36:38 am

It really shouldnt be that hard...you are basically grabbing the clip and moving it. Ive thought of it in terms of moving audio vs moving video. You grab your ted arrow from the tools bar...click and drag the clip you want to move.

The only thing that might cross you up is if youve locked your audio tracks...or the stereo vs mono that i talked about earlier.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 25, 2016 at 2:40:34 am

sorry, that should say I"ve "never" thought of it in terms of moving audio vs moving video..its just moving a clip

Glenn

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 25, 2016 at 5:44:38 am

As said they are just clips.
Avid allows stereo tracks as well as mono tracks. You obviously can't move clips between different types of clips.
Like all powerful tools Avid needs to be learnt to get the best from it.
I'd suggest a 3 day MC101 course as the fastest way ti understand the key skills.
It takes 3 days of solid instructor led training to begin to get to grips.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]