FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback Stuttering

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Hess
Playback Stuttering
on May 21, 2016 at 4:11:29 pm

I am working on a short project, but we are drawing on a lot of footage.
Recently playback has gotten rather dodgy. I am looking at creating a new user and perhaps a new project and bringing in those bins, etc.

When creating a new user profile, am I starting from scratch or is there a way to import settings - keyboard mapping, etc. - without also bringing in whatever may be the issue?

And if I need to create new project, can I just copy and paste bins in the finder, or am I looking creating new bins within project and opening old ones to copy material?

MC 8.4.2 on iMac Mac OS 10.9.5
16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Playback Stuttering
on May 21, 2016 at 4:34:13 pm

what is your source material? If it is a ton of AMA, that might be why you are stuttering.

If it is all Avid managed media, where does it live?...external drive, internal drive, raid system, shared storage?

I wouldn't automatically blame my settings for poor playback. (its probably the last thing I would blame)

If you want to export your settings, there is a way of doing that in your settings tab.

I personally quit bringing my keyboard setting with me on the road years ago. I just spend the 2 mins it takes to rebuild them.

As for bins, you can copy bins from one project into another at the finder/explorer level without issues. I've actually done it with avid running the project in question many times with no issues...including yesterday, I swapped out an old bin, with an updated one that an assistant worked on at home. Of course I made sure the bin itself was closed before I tried to remove the old one, and copy in the new one.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on May 21, 2016 at 5:56:58 pm

It began as AMA but was transcoded. Project and Avid media on one external drive right now, as I have moved project back and forth from work to home. The original files - that were transcoded - were on a second external.

New settings were suggested elsewhere. I have done that before and believe it worked at the time. It's odd, as the project used to play fine - this started about a week ago. So I thought perhaps a settings file had gone wonky on me.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 21, 2016 at 8:06:18 pm

Make sure nothing is slightly overlapping your source and/or record monitors before doing anything drastic,. Also make sure your composer window is not positioned slightly off screen

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on May 21, 2016 at 8:19:04 pm

All clear on interface.
I moved copied project folder to Mac HD, playback better but still not great.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 21, 2016 at 8:36:54 pm

what are your sequence settings?

What type of internal drive are you using?

I still think this is a drive speed issue.

Did you try reducing the monitor to yellow/green?

Not sure when Avid came up with the ability to adjust the amount of ram for your system resources, and the ability to flush it out..might be in 8.5, but that could help as well. I think it is now under a setting called memory?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on May 21, 2016 at 9:09:32 pm

Drives are all 7200rpm, the external connected via FW 800.
I created a new project and copied over bins to Mac HD, that seems to have really helped. I think I was breaking the cardinal rule about keeping project files and media on separate drives. Did not seem to matter much until footage grew.

No expert, just a guess.
And user settings made no difference.

Don't think memory allocation came along until 8.5 as you stated.
Just given option to clear bin memory here.

Thanks very much to all!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 22, 2016 at 8:06:26 am

Simple test to do.
Create new project and drag a few clips from media tool into a fresh bin.
Do they play ok? If not its an issue with playing the media. If ok then its project or seq issues.
Go back to original seq.
Do source clips play ok (no seq loaded)?
If yes then load a seq and find a stuutering section. Match frame and play source. If no good clear seq. Then try source.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]