FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding MC icons

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Avi Lev
Understanding MC icons
on May 18, 2016 at 7:06:42 pm

I would like to find out what all the icons inside the Timeline means? For example, I'm looking at the video track, there is one clip with a rectangle icon with a single letter T (?). Do I have to guess what it's mean, or MC provides also an icon lists? ( Like the icons on the keyboard and on the effect editor.) Please advise me where can I find such a list.
Thanks, Avi

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Understanding MC icons
on May 18, 2016 at 9:52:46 pm

It's in Media Composer Help.

T stands for Temporal. It means a motion adapter has been applied because the clip does not match the project frame rate or field order.

Return to posts index

Avi Lev
on May 18, 2016 at 10:08:57 pm

Thanks,
however how can I tell what it is, if I'm not a staff member at Avid?
why do I need to guess or speculate?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2016 at 10:28:13 pm

[Avi Lev] "however how can I tell what it is, if I'm not a staff member at Avid? "

None of us here are staff members, but we know. This is stuff that you find out by reading WHAT'S NEW when new releases come out. For those of us who use Avid a lot. Barring that, there's the manual...or, GOOGLE. Or ask us. This is the stuff that editors ask other editors in the same office, if they are lucky enough to work with other editors. "What the heck is this?" "ahhh...that's that!"

But yea, the manual has this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Avi Lev
on May 19, 2016 at 2:39:26 pm

Dear Shane
I'm sorry if I offended you. That's not what I had in mind.
I've been using the MC since 1983, editing hundreds of hours of on air shows. So far never missed a deadline.
It happens so often that you encounter some problems during the edit. At times I solve them by myself at the expense of precious editing time. And if I can't do by myself, I'm seeking the advice through online forums. I am really appreciating all of the replies I've got so far.
It's become a way of life to all of us, which makes it easy for the developers at Avid.
It will be much easier for the editor if they were designing a simple way by touching the icon will open a submenu with explanation. Like this case of mine, the icon T = Temporal.
It for sure will make the editing time easier for all Avid users.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2016 at 4:50:53 pm

YOu didn't offend me. Sorry if I sounded snarky. But that's how we learn what the new things are..the WHAT'S NEW doc, or the manual. OR...more often than not as we don't read those things (guilty)...we figure it out by asking others, like you just did. Before, we had to rely on the editors we work with...and they might not know. But here...there are editors all over and you'll be bound to find someone who l knows what that obsure button or setting is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 19, 2016 at 4:59:11 pm

Agree - nobody knows everything and we are always learning!

:)

But I do agree that even with green dot or the letters could have had a tool tip if you hovered indicating which transform was applied. WHich was requested during beta. That aside, I wonder how TSC translated in other languages.

;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 19, 2016 at 8:17:10 am

Read the documentation.
Better yet do an Avid MC101 course.
Great manual and instruction.
If using Avid is important to you then investing in understanding it should be important as well.
Before Avid introduced the T S C inficators we had just a green dot. Far from helpful.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 18, 2016 at 10:10:43 pm

And S is for spacial, and C is for color. These are transforms that are applied to the clips when either a LUT (C) or FrameFlex is active (S) via the source settings on the clips themselves. The timeline menu will give you a hint and you can turn them off if they start taking up too much space.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]