FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting .mov files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue Daly
Exporting .mov files
on May 11, 2016 at 1:08:09 pm

Can anyone help with this? It's making my life very miserable. I shoot for my local TV station on a Canon XF 105, copy the clips to a folder on my Mac (OS X Yosemite 10.10.1) then work with them in Avid MC 6.5.0 by the 'Link to AMA Volume' system. I then create a series of timelines with between 30secs and a minute of clips on. All goes well until I try to export the clips at .mov files. Sometimes this works for three or four clips then fails, other times it won't do it at all. The error is;
Exception std exeption, what 'segmentation fault' in thread 'Adopted Thread' at address 0x0
After that if I try to export again I get
Exception:Movie export add data source FAILED errcode 0
If I try again after that the system crashes. Sometimes after I relaunch Avid I can export a clip or two before it all goes to pot again - sometimes I have to restart the whole Mac. I've tried switching user, doing mixdowns of the audio and video, crossing my fingers. I'm getting very close to throwing the whole lot through the window!
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Exporting .mov files
on May 11, 2016 at 2:56:34 pm

Exporting AMA linked media can be fraught with issues. Exporting as .mov is adding to the problems if it is anything but "Same as Source" which it can't be with linked media and can be the cause of the crashing. Exporting other than SaS invokes Apple QuickTime to do all the work and you can get better quality results with dedicated encoding software like Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder, and Sorenson. Even MPEGStreamclip (OS X) is better than the direct export.

Transcode your sequences to at least DNxHD 145 (115) or higher. Since they are so short you can do 220/175 as well. Then export that sequence Same As Source and encode in third party application to meet your delivery needs.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 11, 2016 at 4:48:44 pm

Why isn't this taught anywhere? Transcoding. This REALLY needs to be on every class or manual or tutorial. AMA LINK (or now, just LINK) and then TRANSCODE (Or consolidate if Avid friendly media like P2 or XDCAM 422 MXF). NEVER just AMA link and work from there. The system can slow down, depending on the footage....if you have lots of it Avid can lose track of the links. When you need to export, you'll have issues unless you mix down.

AMA Link and Transcode needs to be repeated a lot. I blame Avid marketing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sue Daly
on May 11, 2016 at 5:05:31 pm

Thanks Shane,
I'm self taught on Avid so can't really blame their training, plus I'm more of a cameraman than an editor but this transcoding thing seems to be the way to go. So, just to be clear for my non-techy brain, you're suggesting that as soon as I link to AMA and fill up my bin with clips that I transcode them all then only edit with the transcoded clips?
Many thanks for your advice,
Sue

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 11, 2016 at 5:10:17 pm

[Sue Daly] "plus I'm more of a cameraman than an editor"

Ah...no worries. Hand me a RED camera and I'd be lost a tad too.

[Sue Daly] "you're suggesting that as soon as I link to AMA and fill up my bin with clips that I transcode them all then only edit with the transcoded clips?"

Correct. Make a bin, name it the AMA bin. Link to all the footage in that bin. OR...if you are extra organized like me, make one bin per card...name the bins the name of the card backup, and link only to the files from that card.

Then transcode, and put the transcoded files into another bin...organized as you see fit.

[Sue Daly] "I'm stumped on the bit where you say 'export that sequence Same as Source and encode in third party application to meet you delivery needs' which is to deliver .mov files."

What he's suggesting is to export a full resolution Quicktime Movie that will be DNxHD. Take that file into Media Encoder (Adobe) or Sorenson Squeeze or Apple Compressor...a compression application....and compress it to suit your needs. Say you need a nice, high quality H.264 file for YouTube or to give to a client, Avid doesn't export H.264 all that pretty. So you export the high res DNxHD QT...and compress that in another app to have the best quality.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sue Daly
on May 11, 2016 at 5:02:18 pm

Many thanks Michael,
I've worked out the transcoding bit but I'm stumped on the bit where you say 'export that sequence Same as Source and encode in third party application to meet you delivery needs' which is to deliver .mov files.
Sorry to be so dim - I'm better behind the camera rather than in front of the Avid!
Thanks for your help so far,
Sue

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Adam Nielsen
on May 11, 2016 at 10:08:56 pm

Select your in and out on your sequence then go to File-export. This should prompt an export window.
At the bottom of that window you should see "Export Setting" this is defaulted to "untitled".
Keep it on "untitled" and click the "options..." button. This should bring up a new export settings window.

Use the following settings From the top:
Export as: QuickTime Movie
"use marks" - should be checked
"use enabled tracks" - should be checked
"Same as source" -should be checked
"Use AVID codecs"- should be checked
Video and Audio - should be checked
Video Format - color levels - "601/709" should be checked
Audio Format - "Stereo" should be checked
Display Aspect Ratio: set to your desired aspect (most likely 16:9)

I would then suggest you click the "save as" and name this export something like "same as source"
Then save and it will take you back to the first export window where you can select the destination you would like to export to.

This will give you a ".mov" file but with an AVID codec (cause you transcoded to DNx) so you will need to convert this to your desired codec i.e. Apple ProRes, H.264, MPEG etc

Open Apple compressor: Drag the exported file into compressor and choose the appropriate spec from the built in menu. If you are looking for a nice uncompressed .mov I suggest using the "Apple ProRes 422" spec. (press the Add output button -> navigate to the ProRes folder -> Apple ProRes 422

This will then compress or convert your media and saves to the destination folder usually with a suffix.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on May 11, 2016 at 10:37:36 pm

I would suggest ALWAYS exporting as a Quicktime Reference file. These are very small, SAS files that require no rendering, except for FX. I would then import the QTRef file into whatever delivery application you need, whether MPEGStreamclip, Adobe Media Encodder, Sorenson, or whatever. This will save you one rendering step.

Another possibility, if QTRef is unsuitable ( QTRef output can't be generated from AMA linked files), is to export as OP!a. OP1a exports are much faster than more conventional methods; and, keeps the wrapped files in DNxHD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]