FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting video to 25fps on import and in timeline

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Doherty
Converting video to 25fps on import and in timeline
on May 5, 2016 at 2:29:42 am

Hi everyone,

I'm currently assistant editing on a documentary sorting through archival footage that is 29fps. We will be exporting the finished film at 25fps.

Upon importing the clips I converted them to 25fps before sorting the footage into various sequences. Clips from these sequences will then be copied into the main editing timeline by the editor.

My editor is concerned by the approach I have taken as she is worried there may be a problem with converting to 25fps before putting them into the timeline, as when we then export the finished doco as 25fps we will be "doubling up" on this process and therefore affect the quality of the footage. Is this correct? If so, how does this work? I would have thought that there would be no difference, but would really like to know for future reference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Converting video to 25fps on import and in timeline
on May 5, 2016 at 8:06:33 am

If you import you frame blend convert to the project framerate.
If you have to import (AMA is better) then make a 29.97fps project, import to that, no framerate conversion, copy bins to 25fps project.
Or best to AMA clips so no framerate conversion. Cut clips to timeline and MC adds a motion adapter that the editor can change the properties.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2016 at 5:17:32 pm

The editor is right...the approach you are taking is flawed. You are converting 29.97 footage to 25fps when you import. That is the first bad step. Then you use that 25fps footage in a 29.97 project? You don't say this, so I am unsure. If so...that's also bad because then you have 29.97 footage converted to 25, dropping 5 frames, not properly...putting that into a 29.97 project, adding 5 frames...who knows what that'll look like, and then exporting to 25fps...again losing 5 frames. Who knows how many double frames or skipped frames you'll have.

Pat is right. If your footage is all 29.97fps, Import it all at 29.97fps. AMA link and transcode in a 29.97fps project. Then bring all of that into a 25fps project for editing. OR...edit everything at 29.97 and export 29.97, and then convert that file to 25fps.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcus Doherty
on May 5, 2016 at 10:10:01 pm

Thanks for the explanation! Just to clarify, the clips have been AMA linked, not imported, but converted to 25fps. And then are being put into a 25fps project. I assume this is still bad?

Why is this the case, out of interest? I'm just struggling to get my head around what this actually does that affects things badly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2016 at 10:55:35 pm

[Marcus Doherty] "the clips have been AMA linked, not imported, but converted to 25fps"

Sorry, how can you link to clips and then convert to 25fps without transcoding? If you AMA link, and that's it...the footage is still 29.97. To convert to 25, you have to transcode...which is another way to say "import" I suppose.

[Marcus Doherty] "Why is this the case, out of interest?"

Converting the frame rate when you transcode...doesn't do it properly. Frames aren't discarded properly. The only way to get proper playback...proper frame removal is to put a 29.97 clip into a 25fps project. Why? It's how Avid was designed to work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcus Doherty
on May 5, 2016 at 10:59:29 pm

Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks. The frame rate was changed to the linked files by changing the 'source settings' to the timeline's settings of 25fps.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 6, 2016 at 9:14:05 am

If you use the source setting option to change the clips frame rate from its native fps to the projects fps you are telling MC to ignore the fps of the clip and play it at the project fps.
So for a 29.97fps clip in a 25fps project you are playing the clip way slower than it was shot. Audio is slowed as well but not pitch-shifted.
That would extend the runtime of each clip. I can't imagine that's what you needed.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]