FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid exporting quicktimes with blown-out art cards.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Skylar Moran
Avid exporting quicktimes with blown-out art cards.
on Apr 29, 2016 at 9:21:02 pm

Hello!

I've been having this reoccurring issue with Avid in that when I export my sequences, they come out with all the art cards looking blown out and losing a lot of contrast. My clients like to use this art card treatment where there is a white rectangle and a grey rectangle, so the color difference is subtle, but it's there and the postings keep erasing that difference, making the whole card just look white. I fixed this once upon a time by changing my settings from Single Pass to Multi-Pass, but for whatever reason that stopped working. Now, no matter what Quicktime settings I use (H264 or ProRes) it can't export with the contrast.

The cards are RGB. I've tried importing them as pngs, psds, and tiffs. They always look fine on my monitor in my timeline, it is just when exported that I lose the contrast information.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid exporting quicktimes with blown-out art cards.
on Apr 29, 2016 at 9:25:48 pm

When you use the color info tool in MC and sample the white and gray, what RGB levels are they at? And once you know that, what setting are you using to export your timeline with? RGB or 709? If you select RGB, it will take the assumed video levels of your sequence (in 8 bit terms) 16-235 and scale them to 0-255. So what might have been 235 white in MC is now 255 and anything in that upper range will be gone. Try exporting at Rec709 which does not scale levels and see if that is any better for you.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Avid exporting quicktimes with blown-out art cards.
on Apr 30, 2016 at 8:48:44 am

As Michael says.
Sounds like full scale levels not being mapped to 709 levels on the way in.
Scopes scopes scopes.
Even without scopes in colour correction mode you can bring up Y waveform and see out of range levels shown in white instead of green.
Source settings of AMA clips shows histogram of levels and markers for 16 and 235. Plus the color adapter to correct.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]