FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Breakout Box

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus Schlammer
4K Breakout Box
on Apr 28, 2016 at 12:01:55 pm

Hey guys,

we would like to speed up our UHD-workflow and I'm not sure what is the right way for us.

Our current workflow is: acquire RED-RAW-UHD video, copy the files to the local RAID, link with AMA to the Avid MediaComposer with Symphonie option and RedGiant MagicBullet plugin on Win7 PC, generate mostly 1080p projects. cut, color correction, export mostly DNxHD185; everything works fine.
For breakout video signal we use the Matrox MXO2 Mini;
We make no streaming, no broadcast, no live events, no capturing from player.

Now we would like to prepare us for an UHD workflow.
If we generate an 2160p project in the Avid, the performace is good for cutting in the "1/4-quality mode" in the timeline (with the yellow bubble) and it is not necessary to render an simple effect. So it works, but a little-bitty troublesome.
It takes a lot of time to render effects, to export the sequence to an DNxHR-file and it is not possible cutting in the "1/2-quality mode" in the timeline (with the yellow/green bubble). Also we cannot breakout an UHD video signal to the broadcast monitor.

Now I try to find out the difference between these hardware options:

a) Avid Artist DNxIO - 3514 Euro
b) Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Extreme - 2546 Euro
c) Blackmagic Design DeckLink SDI 4k - 255 Euro
d) Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Extreme - 849 Euro

With regards to my workflow I cannot see an benefit for the Avid Artist - I think this product would be great for broadcast, but we don't need that feature.
Any Blackmagic Design option will support "realtime effects from the Avid Media Composer internal effects" ... but what does this mean? Does the 255-Euro-Card speed up my rendering in the same way as the 2546-Euro-rackmount-box??

At the moment I cannot see an benefit to spend more than 255 euros.

Is there anybody who can explan it to me?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Markus

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 4K Breakout Box
on Apr 28, 2016 at 3:42:54 pm

[Markus Schlammer] "Any Blackmagic Design option will support "realtime effects from the Avid Media Composer internal effects" ... but what does this mean? Does the 255-Euro-Card speed up my rendering in the same way as the 2546-Euro-rackmount-box??"

NONE of the options speed up rendering. They are simply IO devices, to get video into and out of the application. The Artist IO has additional support for realtime DNx formats...although I am not sure what that means. Encoding, I think...but it's never been clear.

You say you AMA link...do you not then transcode to Avid media? DNxHR? If not, that's one issue. Avid is not the best for cutting native formats...you really need to convert to DNxHR if you want to see a performance boost.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Markus Schlammer
on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:28:25 am

Hey Ross,

thanks for your answer.

We don't transcode the files to DNxHR.
Also it works very fine with the AMA linked Material and we have the raw material for color correction.
Only timewarp and such effects are not played back in realtime.
So if we had an solution that would render us that effects in realtime, it would be really time saving.
Maybe we should transcode after Color Correction, but thats the last step in our workflow.

Best regards and thanks for your help,

Markus

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 29, 2016 at 11:56:58 am

The Artist IO encodes (signal based capture) in real time. Other than that, there is no acceleration happening for file based workflows. For RED, Media Composer can use the Rocket card, not for playback but for transcode/rendering. The latest RED AMA plug-in and MC release did (finally) provide support for RED R3D GPU Based debayer which will help performance (along with the cache) but none of that has anything to do with the Avid branded Blackmagic IO box.

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 29, 2016 at 7:19:47 pm

[Michael Phillips] "The latest RED AMA plug-in and MC release did (finally) provide support for RED R3D GPU Based debayer which will help performance (along with the cache) but none of that has anything to do with the Avid branded Blackmagic IO box"

Thanks Michael I didnt realise that was an option (finally).
Took the ROCKET offline for months since we didnt see any help in Avid.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 30, 2016 at 6:34:09 pm

The Red Rocket card only benefited Media Composer when transcoding or rendering and debayer settings (now called scaling quality) was set to FULL. So it is easy to be in situations where you think it was not doing anything. Bad UI design for that functionality.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]