FORUMS: list search recent posts

Harware recommendation -known issues with Intel Iris 6200

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tymon Bernard
Harware recommendation -known issues with Intel Iris 6200
on Apr 28, 2016 at 9:02:46 am

Hi all and thanks for looking,

just a quick question. For a very long time our 'Media Rooms' have been using iMac, and, not being able to afford Mac Pros, we are looking at getting a new batch of iMacs. I have a slight problem here... It seems that as iMac have gotten thinner and thinner, they are only available with onboard Intel Iris 6200. To get an iMac with an approved card, we would have to go for 27" and that's way to big for our spaces...

Students work with AVCHD footage, and import before starting, they never AMA. The computers would come with 16GM RAM.

Do you know/have experienced any particular problems with Intel Iris or Apple's Fusion Drives? Any upsets over the lower end iMacs released in the last 2 years?

Any information would greatly help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Harware recommendation -known issues with Intel Iris 6200
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:18:40 pm

[Tymon Bernard] "Students work with AVCHD footage, and import before starting, they never AMA."

They should ALWAYS AMA! AMA link...and then transcode. It's the best way to import all of the clip metadata and have the ability to rebuild a project if a drive goes south. Yes, don't AMA and then start editing...but always AMA link the footage...and transcode. IMPORTING doesn't bring in half the desired metadata.

And really, the graphics cards don't add much to the overall editing experience with Avid. GPU power is really only needed when dealing with RAW and NATIVE formats...stuff like editing with Premiere Pro and cutting native...THAT'S where the GPU comes in. Any current iMac will work fine with Avid, especially when you are transcoding the footage. I still use Avid on older MacPros with transcoded footage...even full res transcoded footage...and it's fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]