FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID Lost MEDIA! AMA online offline workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Clarke
AVID Lost MEDIA! AMA online offline workflow
on Apr 27, 2016 at 2:03:33 am

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can guild me in the right direction and save the day.

My system is a Asus Zenbook Pro
windows 10 Home
Processor Intel(R) core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60
RAM: 16
64 bit system, x64 based processor

Media Composer 8.5.1

** I was doing an offline online work flow, with 4K(UHD) to 720p proxies.
After I sent the proxy footage and the assistance synced it all with the audio, the hard drive with the UHD MXF footage died... I know, if you don't have it twice you don't have it at all... its sad and very true...
I still have the original APR UHD footage and the Proxies and the project file and bins.

I need to regenerate the UHD MXF files to match the 720p footage for the online.
I don't mind going through and doing it manually if it comes to that, but I'd rather not.

If it helps, my process was this:
Imported the footage in AMA, in UHD project in 23.976
Copied all files to another import bin and copied all file names into tape ID colum.
Converted all the footage to Avid DNxHR HQ (3840 x 2160-4:2:2)
Then switched my project to 720p and transcoded to Avid DNxHD 45 1280 x 720[4] 4:2:2
Sent off that footage to the editor and his assistant synced it all.

So two questions,
1. Can I just link the editors timeline to the AMA files when he delivers his sequence bin?
and
2. Is it possible to re-create the UHD files from the AMA, and still keep the same MXF name?

One additional note, I've tried reconnecting the AMAs to the original APR (apple pro res) footage, and I can only do so manually, by relink to files command. But could not with the Relink command.
The problem is the one that I can make work is one at a time. and that just slow, but I'll do it if I have too.

Thank you for reading this, and if you know the answer thank you in advance for helping me in this stressful situation.

Best,

Return to posts index

Anantha Krishna
Re: AVID Lost MEDIA! AMA online offline workflow
on Apr 27, 2016 at 2:12:46 pm

Once you've lost the MXF files, it is not possible to regenerate them with the same MXF name.

If you want to re-link the editor's sequence to UHD MXFs, you'd probably have to re-link the AMAs to the original footage, re-transcode them to create new MXFs & then link them to the sequence. --> (Right click the sequence, RELINK - use "Selected media in ALL open bins," and relink that way. I had the new transcodes open in a new bin & selected. Sequence should relink to the new transcoded clips.)

When something similar happened to me - I couldn't work around the re-linking AMA to original footage in bulk. Rolled up my sleeves and did it one by one.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on Apr 27, 2016 at 2:29:18 pm

That does help, thank you. I'm going to try that and see what happens.

Do I even need to create new UHD MXF media? What if I bring his sequence online with the AMA linked files?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
-William Arthur Ward, college administrator, writer (1921-1994)

Return to posts index

Anan Tha
on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:09:55 pm

You can re-link the sequence to the original camera rushes themselves if your edit is complete. You know where your files are, so just right click on the sequence to re-link.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 6:32:58 pm

You should be able to generate new mxf media, and relink the editors sequence to that media.
Essentially it would be the same process as creating low res mxfs, then linking to high res mxfs.

I'm assuming the editor still has his or her copy of the original mxfs? can't you just get a copy of that footage?

What are your relink steps for going back to AMA? That should work for you quicker than 1 at a time as well.

Your entire workflow sounds like you should be able to get through this fairly unscathed.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on May 9, 2016 at 4:53:29 pm

Thanks Glenn, Ya its all good. Reconnecting has been going fine, even without generating HQ MXFs.

thanks for your help.

Cheers

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Return to posts index

Devin Clarke
on May 9, 2016 at 4:51:24 pm

I was able to do this, I relinked the AMA and then linked that to the editors sequence. thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]