FORUMS: list search recent posts

batch importing a sequence

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Ehrlich
batch importing a sequence
on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:09:32 pm

hey guys.
I want to batch import a sequence, but I normally batch import clips and I am not sure I understand what Avid does when I click batch import on a sequence. Will it consolidate the parts of the clips that are on the timeline and import only the consolidated clips, or will it import the entire clips? If Avid does import only consolidated clips, is there a way to chose handles? Handles are basically what I am aiming for. I have long documentary footage that I want to batch import at a higher resolution, but don't want to waste disc space on what I don't need. I need only whats on the timeline with handles. Is there a way to do that?
thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: batch importing a sequence
on Apr 23, 2016 at 3:06:15 pm

I think what you want to do here would be to forget ingesting via legacy import and batch import. This is kind of the old school way to do it and will not give you the ability to set handles...it takes in the whole clip and the media must match in name and duration to work.

What you want to be doing is initially ingesting using "Link to Media" then transcoding to an offline resolution. (Link to Media is called AMA in versions prior to 8.5). When you want to online, you relink the sequence to the original media, then transcode to your online resolution with handles. There are variations to this workflow but that the gist of it. But do not use legacy import if the issues described in your initial post are important to you.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ehrlich
on Apr 23, 2016 at 4:09:42 pm

thanks John. I know of course that linkig media is more convenient than importing. But that's how the project was created (by a different editor) and I am not sure there is a way to turn imported clips into linked clips. Or is there?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 23, 2016 at 7:23:25 pm

You cannot batch import a sequence.

But you can AMA link to your sources and do a "relink to selected" to conform your sequence to the original files. Import and AMA link put the same metadata in the "Source File" column.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]