FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding more than +12db of audio gain across several clips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Adding more than +12db of audio gain across several clips
on Apr 23, 2016 at 9:46:16 am

I'm working on a project with very low sound levels, I've made a rough cut already and would like to apply more than the +12db of gain to the audio that the mixer will allow. I have used the audio suite to add extra gain but it seems to only work on a clip by clip basis, is there any way to apply this to all of the clips in my sequence?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Adding more than +12db of audio gain across several clips
on Apr 23, 2016 at 3:11:24 pm

You have two layers of audio level adjustment. Automation Gain (rubber banding or audio key framing ) can give you another +12db to play with. If you crank up clip gain to +12db, you can set a keyframe and raise that another 12.

You can also add track based effects if you are on a recent version of MC (7 or 8.x). You need to expand the section on the timeline to the right of the track selectors to see where to apply those. This may be easier, less tedious and more effective than adding automation gain to all the clips.

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Apr 26, 2016 at 6:58:09 am

Thanks for this info, it came in really useful!

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on May 2, 2016 at 6:57:59 pm

A while back I was given a talking head session with audio that HAD to be at least 48db too low. It was shot by a one man band who obviously understood video a LOT better than he did audio.

My solution for getting back to something useful was to boost the track by, what I believe at the time was the 12db maximum. Then I copied the track and stacked in on three additional audio tracks beneath it. Viola! It worked. I also feel that I got lucky because the noise floor on the tracks was so low that even quadrupled it was barely noticeable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]