FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upscaling DV to HD

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mustafa Bhagat
Upscaling DV to HD
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:01:23 pm

Hello!

I have a project that require me to digitize and edit footage from about 80 SD Mini DV tapes. There will be some HD footage mixed in and the final output will need to be 1080p.

I am wondering if its best to ingest these at 1:1 in the Avid and then upscale after the edit is complete?

Or should I ingest the tapes via an AJA or a Matrox MXO and upscale on the way in?

Or should I / Can I ingest the tapes through a Terranex 2D box?

Working in Avid 8.3. But we have Adobe CC as well.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Best,
Mustafa

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
Re: Upscaling DV to HD
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:29:52 pm

I've had good results taking DV material into Avid, and then sending it to Adobe Medial Encoder via a QT Reference file for the uprez to HD. There is a "Scale to Fill" option available in the custom option in ME.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2016 at 11:04:06 pm

I upscale all my SD with an AJA box. Second best thing to a Terranex...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mustafa Bhagat
on Apr 21, 2016 at 11:17:40 pm

Thanks Shane!

Question is do I digitize each tape through the Aja/terranex as HD. Or do i digitize at 1:1 via my little FireWire 400 miniDv deck and then up scale the final edit?

Thanks for the guidance!

Best,
MB

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 22, 2016 at 12:13:31 am

1:1? That's HUGE! I don't even online shows at 1:1. I only did one theatrical doc at 1:1 and it was tough to play back. When I online, it's Dnx220X or 175X.

ANYWAY...how much footage are we talking about here? And is all the other footage already full res? Or is this an offline/online project?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mustafa Bhagat
on Apr 22, 2016 at 12:20:29 am

Back in the day we always online at 1:1 - its SD so not that big really. Lately i have been bringing in all my DV at 1:1 - i don't have the option for digitizing at DNX 175 coming in from my DV Deck.

Its been awhile since I have worked with SD footage so not exactly sure of workflow to get it up to HD. These days we finish at DNX175 - but isn't that an HD codec?

I think in the end we are looking at 80hours of Mini DV. and another 20-30 hours of XAVC footage from a Sony F5 and Sony FS7.

I am guessing i will either need to rent a good DV deck and a either rent or purchase a Terranex or Aja box. OR just ship all the tapes out and have another post house deal with the digitizing/upscaling.

Just looking to get the SD material into the system in the cleanest way possible so when we go to finishing its not a total shit show.

thx again.
MB

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 22, 2016 at 12:55:22 am

Yes, SD...1:1. But we are talking about converting the DV to HD...upscaling it BEYOND 1:1 SD. And yes, you'd do this through a Terranex, or via a good capture IO card like the AJA Kona line, or IoXT/Io4K.

So what you might do is just capture the DV as DV...not 1:1, that'll take up too much space. Capture as DV, edit it into the project, and then when you lock picture, capture only what was used in the cut as HD upscale. There are settings in the AJA capture interface to so this, and the Terranex as well. Or, make sure you hire an online guy who knows what they are doing, and have them do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]