FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid and RED Weapon generated QTs

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hudson
Avid and RED Weapon generated QTs
on Apr 21, 2016 at 4:20:50 pm

So RED can now make Prores files alongside the r3D files. But can Avid use these? When I AMA to the camera roll folder Avid only links to the r3D files and ignores the QTs.
How is anyone using these?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid and RED Weapon generated QTs
on Apr 21, 2016 at 4:35:35 pm

Did you manually select the QUICKTIME AMA plugin? A lot of times it doesn't work if you choose AUTOMATIC.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Apr 21, 2016 at 5:58:15 pm

Well yes and here is a peculiar thing.
If I "link to" and go to the top Folder Avid links to all the r3D files and ignores the QTs
no mater if I have it on automatic or QTs only. Ok so why if I am telling it only look at QTs does it still bring in r3Ds??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2016 at 6:39:46 pm

Go me...that's new...as you said, it's a new feature. Can you link to the QTs one at a time? This MIGHT be the case where you would want to move all of the individual QT files out of the card structure and into a single folder in order to import them all. BUT...this all bears testing. Can you link to these ProRes files, then CONSOLDATE Them to make them Avid media, and put the media into your Media drive in the Avid file structure...and then will they relink to the R3D when you go to online...say in RESOLVE? That would be the ONLY time i'd link to the ProRes files. If you were to online in the Avid, best to link to the R3D files so that your file path is the same when you online.

Since this is a new feature, it means all sorts of testing is needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 21, 2016 at 6:50:05 pm

Are you sure you are looking at self-contained ProRes files and not QT Reference files that point to the R3Ds?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Apr 21, 2016 at 7:34:09 pm

Yes very sure,

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Apr 21, 2016 at 7:38:48 pm

Yes you can point dirtectly to each one and pull in, but that is A) cumbersome and B) creates a separate clip with no relation to the r3D file.

And Bear in mind this is RED saying (at 2015 NAB) this feature gets the transcodes done and ready to edit faster, than transcoding ones I have the r3Ds. So jumping thru hoops of link this relink that are not realy what I think is the purpose of these files.

So far the testing leads us to just link to r3Ds and transcode with in Avid, keeps it all nice and neat.
Not seeing a benifit of the camera generated QTs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]