FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating AMA-based sequences to Premiere CC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
Migrating AMA-based sequences to Premiere CC
on Apr 21, 2016 at 2:08:15 pm

So we'll be switching from Avid Media Composer 6 to Adobe Premiere Pro CC in a few months, and I'm hoping to migrate my hundreds of projects and/or sequences made with AMA-linked video over instead of re-editing them all, obviously. I found Adobe's tutorial on how to migrate sequences here, and it tells me to export everything as an AAF file and to set everything to "Link (don't export) media." But when I try to export the AAF, I get this error:

So, what do I need to do differently to make this work with my AMA video-based sequences? If at all possible, I'd like to do this in a way that doesn't involve making copies of the videos themselves, since there is a very large quantity of video taking up a huge amount of space on the drive already. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
Re: Migrating AMA-based sequences to Premiere CC
on Apr 25, 2016 at 3:25:22 pm

I've had success doing this only by using Resolve as an intermediate... Resolve is a free download and install if you don't have it already.

Seems a bit painstaking, but it worked well enough.

so AAF export from AVID...

import AAF into Resolve, export .xml...

Import .xml into Premiere.

A workaround I know... But do a couple tests and let me know what you think, not that much of a time sink, but it is another step I will admit. The important thing is getting you up and running in CC.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 27, 2016 at 6:38:15 pm

I think the problem might be Avid MC6. For some reason i think the ability to export a list with AMA material might have not been available until 7 or so? Thats what .my brain is telling me anyway.

You might have to update to a free trial of 8.5, and create all your lists that way.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on May 3, 2016 at 9:46:54 pm

Hmm, I watched the tutorial video that was on the linked Adobe page and I noticed that I hadn't been checking the box for "AAF Edit Protocol." I did this and this time I had more success. The project itself came through, but it's a mixed bag with how they actually work. The video and audio are there, but my text and still photo layers aren't showing up, and it's having some issues with things that have a matte key involved. Most of the problem layers show a "Media Pending" error in the preview window. What does that mean and how do I fix it? Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]