FORUMS: list search recent posts

switch from offline to online resolution

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Ehrlich
switch from offline to online resolution
on Apr 18, 2016 at 9:02:14 am

hi guys
I am finishing the offline editing on a project and need to switch to an online resolution.
I am a little bit confused about the options. The media was imported at and edited at DNXHD 120 (in an 1080i/50 project). The options that Avid gives me for batch importing to a higher quality codec are: DNXHD 185, DNXHD 185x, 1:1 MXF, and some other options I have never even heard before... My guess would be that DNXHD 185x is the best available option. On the internet I read a lot about DNXHD 220 or 440. Those two options aren't available.

Any tips on what codec is best for my purposes?

Thanks in Advance
Jonathan

Return to posts index

Will Fiennes
Re: switch from offline to online resolution
on Apr 18, 2016 at 12:12:19 pm

It depends on what your conforming for but in the majority of cases for Grade and Online I find the request is to go to DX185x. This is Avid's native codec and the X is the 10bit version.

DNx220 wont be an option because this is for other frame rates. I believe 29.97, 30, 23.98 fps. In the 1080/50i world 185 & X is what you are looking for.

The 10bit option has become the default for going into the grade and online due to its apparent ability to allow for detailed and precise colour changes especially if you are dealing with multi layered and noded grades. All sorts of info out there about this.

W

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ehrlich
Re: switch from offline to online resolution
on Apr 18, 2016 at 12:22:07 pm

thanks Will!
that's what I thought.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]