FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with Sony PVM-1741 Monitor and Symphony

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ev Williams
Trouble with Sony PVM-1741 Monitor and Symphony
on Apr 13, 2016 at 9:17:24 pm

I'm not sure how to add tags to a post and I'm also not sure if this is the place to post about this but I didn't see anywhere else that seemed related to the problem I'm having.

We have a Sony PVM-1741 monitor and it's hooked up to a Symphony/Nitris system. The problem we're having is that the monitor, so I'm told, is turning itself on overnight and whenever I find it on (having assumed that someone left it on accidentally earlier in the day) I turn it off and it seems to stay off just fine, but now I'm having two people tell me that the monitor was on this morning when I know for a fact that it was not on at all last night as I was at the office all night and no one else was here.

What concerns me is that this monitor has two fans built in but I've never heard/seen them running and no one else here has either so I'm afraid that there's some hardware issue that might be at play, but I've got to ask: there's no way that over HDMI or SDI the Nitris or the system running Symphony could control the fans and tell them not to run, is there?

The manual says they can't be adjusted and should kick on when the device hits 80 degrees, but it's definitely above 80 and the fans have never kicked on so I'm worried the display was never right from the start, and especially concerned that it may be going even worse now since it is supposedly "turning itself on" at some point in the morning.

I have spent so much of today on google looking this up and can't find a single other person with this issue so I come to you, Creative Cow, and humbly ask: does any of what I've been told make the slightest bit of sense? If it wasn't for the fans never running I would just assume someone is lying to me to avoid being blamed for leaving hardware on overnight, but the fan thing has got me wondering if there might actually be something going on here...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trouble with Sony PVM-1741 Monitor and Symphony
on Apr 13, 2016 at 9:29:26 pm

There is absolutely no way whatsoever that any external hardware via SDI or HDMI can control the fans of a monitor they are connected to. There is also no way that the monitor can come on my itself. NONE! That monitor has a hard, mechanical switch in it that is accessed via the button. It is either in the OFF or ON position, and the only way to switch that position is by pressing the button. No electronic signal can turn this on. It's pretty solid, analog hardware.

So either you have a ghost, or someone is turning it on and doesn't want to get in trouble for forgetting to turn it off.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ev Williams
Re: Trouble with Sony PVM-1741 Monitor and Symphony
on Apr 13, 2016 at 10:13:19 pm

Thank you! That's what I keep telling everyone but the guy who owns the company doesn't understand that what this guy is claiming isn't physically possible!

I feel like I'm losing my mind here with people agreeing with someone who keeps saying that he turned something off when he clearly didn't...

But seriously, thank you. I just needed to hear someone else say that I'm not crazy and that I'm not missing something incredibly obvious.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]