FORUMS: list search recent posts

lunk to AMA workflow with sound

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lena Gregorian
lunk to AMA workflow with sound
on Apr 13, 2016 at 10:31:58 am

Hello all,

I linked to AMA all the files needed, and than synced them with imported sound. now i want to bring them to offline by transcoding to low resolution.
I wonder if I can transcode the already synced clips and do a transcode, or perhaps I had to first transcode the AMA files and then go with the sync sound process.

1) please tell me that it can work both ways
2)if it isn't so, how can it be fixed?

Thanx!
Lena.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: lunk to AMA workflow with sound
on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:03:21 pm

It can work both ways - your already synced clips will still be sync clips most likely renamed clipname.sync.new

If you intended to do 1/4 frame slip sync, then an import is the only way to make that work when in a 35mm/4 perf project. AMA linking and transcoding, even in such a project will not work. If that is not needed, then you are good to go.

Michael

Return to posts index

Lena Gregorian
Re: link to AMA workflow with sound
on Apr 13, 2016 at 2:39:24 pm

Hello Michael,

in transcode: Raster dumentions: Project dimensions (without proxy) - the defoult option
in target video res. I choose: h 264 800 kps proxy MXF

after i done editing, choose the seq. and bring it online by transcidung again (yes?)

so you think from what you say, it's good to go.

should I keep source's frame rate or convert to project frame rate (something that you choose)

thank you!
Lena

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 13, 2016 at 2:51:21 pm

H.264 proxy is a very compressed format intended for Avid cloud based editing, but can be used locally to store a LOT of footage compared to the usual offline proxy of DNxHD 36. That is up to you to decide based on amount of storage available and image quality you want to edit with.

When done, you will conform sequence back to camera originals and transcode at a higher quality for finishing, or do that in a third party application like Resolve. Or, if you have enough storage, just transcode to a finishing quality up front like DNxHD 175x. Not knowing what your originals sources are, it is difficult to recommend which way to go. DNxHD at 24fps is 75GB for every 1 hour.

Source frame rate versus project frame rate is dependent on whether the sources match the project rate or not. If they do, then just choose project. But of they don't. like 30fps source in a 24fps project you can keep that rate. The wording is a little confusing when they do match and you are not warned whether they match or not. So it is up to you to manage.

For audio, click the transcode options, but do not compress the audio as you may want to use that in your final. Just have it match the source or project. It will either be 16 bit/48kHz or 24bit/48kHz.

Return to posts index

Lena Gregorian
on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:00:37 pm

thank you!

Return to posts index

Lena Gregorian
on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:59:12 pm

Hello Again,

another question about the AMA work flow.
working with two hard disk (HD A and HD B).
I started with HD A and linked to AMA, and had the synced sound and video.
the client gave me HD B (more space), and asked me to put the whole project there

I took all the MXF files from A copied to B.

then pulled out HD A, and the files went OFFLINE (ofcourse).
I try to RELINK the files to HD B - didn't work. (will it helf if I copy all the rushes to disk B?)

Is there a way to change it or to keep working with both HD?

I also transcoded to HD B the synced clips (but it goes offline without HD A.

Thanks!
Lena

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]