FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please take a look at my future computer spec and give me some advice.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norbert Cseszko
Please take a look at my future computer spec and give me some advice.
on Apr 8, 2016 at 11:39:25 am

Hello Everyone!

I would like to ask the help of video editors who understands computer configurations aswell.
I've created a computer spec for the use of Avid media composer 8. I don't want to make 4K videos,
I just want to make full use of the computer and create 1080p videos. I've read some articles and forums about
this, but I would like someones experienced opionion exactly about this.

Power: Chieftec 500W 12cm Smart 80+
CPU: Core i5 4460 3.2GHz 6MB L3 Cache LGA1150
MB: ASUS B85M-G s1150 B8
Mem: 2x DDR3 8Gb/1600MHz Kingston Fury Blue
GPU: PCIE 960GTX 4GB Asus DDR5
SSD: Kingston 120GB V300
HDD: HDDW 2Tb 64Mb SATA3 WD Blue

Thanks in advance, Norbert

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Please take a look at my future computer spec and give me some advice.
on Apr 9, 2016 at 4:42:13 pm

I quit doing build my own systems a few years ago...mostly because the research was turning into an endless loop. As such I have no real comment on which motherboard or anything like that.

I would suggest you think about an i7 processor.
I personally look more towards dual processor boxes. I understand you have no need for 4K, and only want HD, but for my money, a box that can be upgraded, is the biggest reason to go PC.

Next year at this time you may want to start doing color in Resolve, and you might be wishing you had a bit more beef...it happens.

I do think your SSD is too small. 120 is certainly large enough for the operating system, and programs, but doesn't leave a lot of room for some of the caching that goes on with temp files etc.

I switched to a 240gig, and eventually went up to 500g. What really killed me on the smaller ones was unzipping or unraring archives. No matter how the programs preferences were set up, it would use the C drive for its temp storage. Large archives had to be extracted in parts, and that was annoying the hell out of me. You can probably get a 240 or 500 ssd for 100.00 dollars more? I would do it.

16 gigs of ram seems low Not so much for Avid, but for other things you might want to run. I would at the very least double that.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]