FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing CSV file into avid as a Bin or for metadata

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Eyster
Importing CSV file into avid as a Bin or for metadata
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:48:25 pm

Hi all,
I'm working on a feature in Avid MC and I was looking for any help or information on importing a CSV file into Avid to create a bin or add the embedded information into a bin?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Importing CSV file into avid as a Bin or for metadata
on Apr 6, 2016 at 11:55:13 am

Media Composer only accepts an ALE file for import and merging into existing clips. An ALE file is a somewhat enhanced TAB separated file in the fact that it contains a header and a separates of columns versus data. You need to convert that CSV into a TAB file, usually in Excel, and then in a text editor, remove all the extra TABs that Excel like to add and make sure the last event has a return character. I usually do this in TextWrangler while viewing invisible characters. Once all this is done, and the header is appropriate for your project type. Somewhere out on the Avid site is a whitepaper on ALE creation and metadata logging and management where there is a section on creating ALE files.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Importing CSV file into avid as a Bin or for metadata
on Apr 6, 2016 at 12:17:39 pm

Here is that whitepaper:
https://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/files/hero-products-pdf/media-composer/av...

It is still mostly valid but does not reflect any changes from Media Composer 7.0.3 and later. If you are working HD and offline proxy type workflows, then it should be fine.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]