FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio::PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA() Player version of frame duration is longer than acutal [numbers] (numbers)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Harper
Audio::PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA() Player version of frame duration is longer than acutal [numbers] (numbers)
on Apr 5, 2016 at 8:55:11 am

Hi all

I'm soon to be working on a student project which is using RAW Red footage. I have a DIT on set who will be making DNxHD 36 proxies for me. As it was his first time being a DIT and my first time working with one, we decided to do a quick test and we've been using this link as a guide.

http://cinetv.westphal.drexel.edu/base/workflow/redcine-x-pro/creating-avid...

The transcoding process had no problems but issues started to arise when it came to bringing the proxies into AVID. After copying the .MXF files into the relevant Avid Mediafiles folder I tried to import the .ALE file and then relink all the offline media and I just said "there's nothing to relink to". I then tried doing it via the Media Tool which almost worked. The media isn't offline but if I try to do ANYTHING with the clip, even just selecting it, I get this error;

Audio::PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA()
Player version of frame duration is longer than acutal
[numbers] (numbers)

If anyone knows the issue, what might be causing and how to solve it. I would really appreciate a response ASAP as the shoot is scheduled to start in 2 days and I'm clueless as to what to do here. The DIT is having to do the transcode on Windows whereas I'm editing on a Mac, if that information has any relevance.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
Re: Audio::PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA() Player version of frame duration is longer than acutal [numbers] (numbers)
on Apr 5, 2016 at 9:03:24 am

I should also point out that there no audio has been added to any of these clips, hence my utter confusion as to why "Audio" appears to be the source of the issue.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo Ferlaino
Re: Audio::PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA() Player version of frame duration is longer than acutal [numbers] (numbers)
on Apr 5, 2016 at 9:33:11 am

That message usually comes when there's a corrupted clip...
Is it just a single clip?
Did you try to export it again?

Maybe this can be helpful:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-41008.html

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:13:15 am

All the clips had the same error. We could try re-doing it but I'm worried that the same thing will happen again during the shoot and having to redo things wouldn't be ideal.

I appreciate the link however that was back in 2010 and according to some of the posts, Red Cine-X was in it's BETA stage at that point. Can it really be a similar issue 6 years later? It does offer solutions but they seem incredibly time consuming and I'd rather figure out how to prevent the problem from occurring at all.

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Apr 5, 2016 at 10:42:38 am

Okay so I just found out that the DIT followed the instructions a bit too closely and when it came to the codec settings, it was set to 23.976 fps whereas the footage is 25 fps. Could that be the cause of the problem?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:44:10 pm

Certainly setting the frame rate different than the source can create issues between timecode to essence boundaries and such so that is an issue that needs to be corrected.

That being said, in my opinion, ALE import is not recommended at all to relink to media and make master clips. Especially when audio is involved. See my blog: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=247

I will also say that when working with RED files, I prefer using RedCineXPro to make the native MXF files as they provide a one-step creation of MXF, AAF and ALE to merge. For digital camera workflows this somewhat outdated whitepaper from Avid still has some good information and has a pretty in-depth session for RED.

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:22:22 pm

Hi Michael.

It would appear that the frame rate issue was the source of the problem. The DIT and I didn't realise that the US and UK allowed for different encoding frame rates (we are in the UK) so that's why the 25fps option wasn't available to us initially. We downloaded the UK version, transcoded it to the correct frame rate and it all worked fine. I was able to do the MXF, ALE and AAF merge as well.

Thanks for you help.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 5, 2016 at 6:27:50 pm

Glad it all worked out. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]