FORUMS: list search recent posts

32GB vs. 64GB RAM to run MC on 5K iMac

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Cue
32GB vs. 64GB RAM to run MC on 5K iMac
on Apr 1, 2016 at 3:34:27 pm

Have been running MC v8.4.1 on a late 2014 5K iMac 4.0Ghz i7 w/32GB RAM & the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4G graphic card. Am now migrating this computer to someone else in the office and plan to run MC v8.5 on a late 2015 5K iMac 4.0Ghz i7 w/32GB RAM & the AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4G graphic card. My question: Is there enough MC performance advantage from uping the RAM to 64GB to justify the $600+ it would cost? I know more RAM would allow me to have more things open, speed up everyday tasks, etc...but wondering if it's worth the cost strictly from an editing point of view?

Jeff C.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 32GB vs. 64GB RAM to run MC on 5K iMac
on Apr 1, 2016 at 3:53:12 pm

[Jeff Cue] " Is there enough MC performance advantage from uping the RAM to 64GB to justify the $600+ it would cost?"

Nope. Avid doesn't access, nor need that much RAM to do what it does. Because it works with compressed media, not RAW media. Something like Adobe will eat and require lots of RAM. But Avid isn't designed to do that. Even if you AMA link and want to work with the AMA linked media...more RAM won't help because Avid won't really access and use that much to deal with the raw..because it's not designed to really deal with RAW.

ANYWAY...no, there'll be no noticeable bump in performance. It will allow you to open more apps at once...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Cue
Re: 32GB vs. 64GB RAM to run MC on 5K iMac
on Apr 1, 2016 at 4:01:37 pm

Thanks Shane...I kind of figured that was the answer, but wanted to throw it out there just in case I was wrong.

Jeff C.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]