FORUMS: list search recent posts

equalize shooting with different Canon

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Bellicanta
equalize shooting with different Canon
on Mar 20, 2016 at 7:00:30 am

Hello
I introduce myself: I am Carlo, I am 14 years. I write from Rome, Italy (I apologize for my English , I hope I do not make too many mistakes and I hope to make myself understoodable)

I'm learning to use Avid MC. I recorded with a Canon 550D Rebel TII and a Canon 7D Mark 1.

Please, one of you can explain to me:
1) Why the Canon 550D TII generates two files, one video and one THM?
2) Why the colors of the shots are so different?
3) Maybe I'm wrong something, I use the AMA files. What is the best procedure to work these files so large and compressed?
4) How can I do a little 'color correction to equalize the shooting? (Brightness and color)

Thanks to anyone who wants to give me some tips :-)
Carlo

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: equalize shooting with different Canon
on Mar 20, 2016 at 4:19:01 pm

Hi Carlo. Welcome to the world of editing.

The THM file is simply a thumbnail auto created by the camera. It isn't really anything you need to worry about.

Why do the pictures look so different? Aside from the possibility of different light in the locations you shot, or different settings in the camera, like white balance, you are dealing with two different cameras, with two different sciences behind them. The Rebel is (probably) 3 years older than the 7d? I'm not surprised when i get footage from two identical cameras that looks different, so i wouldn't assume to different cameras would look the same.

How do you fix it? practice, practice practice. You can start with the color corrector in Avid, and trying to let it set your black, white and color automatically. (in the curves tab you will see some buttons on the right side of the page that look like an eyedropper, a black arrow up and black and white arrows up and down...hover over those and you will get a description of what they do) If you want to really get in there and get picky, you will have to start looking into some color correction tutorials. Avid MC has a good basic color corrector, but it is far from the best on the market. Might want to start playing with resolve as well.

enjoy.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Carlo Bellicanta
on Mar 21, 2016 at 7:56:55 pm

thank u so much for yr replay.
ok, I've found the "Color Correction mode"
In effect, the quality of the shooting is pretty much better, after using auto contrast and auto balance.
However, the shhotings keep the difference between them, in terms of color e whitebalance.

Are u sure about the ile htm? online i've found some people sayng that this files host the information about the camera settings.

Anyway, really thanks for your help.
Do u know how can "equalize" (I do not know if this term is correct) the two different .mov to obtain two scenes more similar?

As usual, I hope to be understandable and to have made as many grammatical mistakes I can :-)

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 21, 2016 at 8:05:46 pm

If you start needing metadata for what the lens was set to and iso exposure etc for 3d tracking and compositing information to help figure out lens distortion, and other things, then you might be able to find that information in those files...depends on the camera you used.

For what you are doing, I don't think they will serve any purpose.

As far as matching out the shots, so scenes look similar, that is where learning how to color correct comes in. As i said before, you may need to start learning some color software.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Carlo Bellicanta
on Mar 21, 2016 at 8:26:30 pm

yes, definitely I'm not in this needing :-)
ok.
at the moment, sure I have to start to make some practice with the color correction.

Wishing to be not silly, do u can list to me some other software for color correction? do u know if these software are available in trial mode?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 21, 2016 at 8:33:38 pm

Resolve is a high end, very functional color correction solution that is free. There is a paid version (Resolve Studio) but for your formats and current level of experience, that will be more than enough.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

You'll be faced with same channels but with a lot more control and more to learn. I would read up on using the color chart as a starting point to see if that gets you closer to matching.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 21, 2016 at 8:54:32 pm

Mind you this is all very high end...just balancing the camera takes training. I have a 15 year old who's getting into editing and I know this would overwhelm her. This is one reason why Final Cut Pro-X has an auto balance feature...for those just starting out, or who don't intend on being colorists, but just want to edit. I know it's a completely different app, that costs money (trial available). But yeah, Avid Media Composer is a pretty complex tool, one that took me a long while to learn, even when I had people teaching it to me.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Carlo Bellicanta
on Mar 22, 2016 at 1:02:53 pm

in short, no tricks, just need a lot of practice :-)
patience is not my strong qualities ;-)
I have to work hard and try to get the best
thank u all for the valuable resources
please, keep writing here if comes to yr mind something that can make life easier (as a particular workflow with .mov files)

thanks to all of u, u were all really nice and helpful

Return to posts index

Carlo Bellicanta
on Mar 22, 2016 at 12:57:08 pm

thank u very much Micheal, I will try as soon as possible Resolve (in the free version, offcourse)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 22, 2016 at 1:05:40 pm

I had a typo in my previous response - I meant to say it will be just as challenging in Resolve, but you have more control. I do have to say that I like Resolve's AutoColor better than the one in Media Composer. If you are just starting out - for each camera, stop on a frame of a similar subject, framing and exposure and try it out.

Results are not guaranteed as Shane points out, a lot of this has to start at the camera when shooting. I would do some searches on balancing cameras in the field - even shooting same camera models need some tweaking. Throw into the mix, different cameras (sensors), codecs, exposure (different cameras have different noise levels at different ASA), etc it will take some diligence to get it right, and needs to start right from capture.

Michael

Return to posts index

Carlo Bellicanta
on Mar 22, 2016 at 1:19:54 pm

ok, thanks for yr clarification
I think that if I have to learn, for me may as well learning with better software :-)
So i will try REsolve ;-)
although I love Avid MC for editing. The one that I find (vaguely) acceptable is Sony Vegas
I've tried a trial and is not bad at all
instead, I don't like Premiere (although my experiences have all been short for trial periods or using their software at the home of friends..... so, perhaps I express an approximate judgment)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 22, 2016 at 1:30:51 pm

You might be right at home with editing directly in Resolve as well. Everyone finds the best application that meets their needs. No right or wrong for personal taste - we see it in fashion all the time. ;)

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]