FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost hardrive and AVID Media Files Folder with all the transcodes. What next?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anantha Krishna
Lost hardrive and AVID Media Files Folder with all the transcodes. What next?
on Mar 19, 2016 at 3:16:01 pm

AMC 7, Win 7 x64

Source Footage -
Audio - .wav (Imported directly into Bin - not AMA linked) - 5 Mono tracks.
Video - Canon 7D Quicktime .h264 - (AMA linked and transcoded into DNXHD120 --> filename.new.01) 2 Audio Pilot tracks

After transcoding - I used the sync option (using in points) to create files filename.new01.sync.01 into a separate bin. This are the files that are there on the timeline.

Here's the problem. I lost my hard drive - and with it the AVID Media Files folder with the transcoded files. So going forward --

1. I assume I have to transcode all my footage again? This time I am planning to do DNXHD36 and go online before giving an output. Is there anyway to work with my earlier edit sequences (from Back-up - I backed up only the project folder and i have bins from the attic) and AMA linked/the newly Transcoded footage? Relinking? EDL?

2. The biggest problem i have is syncing. Now, earlier, I used the auto sync option (using in points) to merge the transcoded DNXHD Video and the imported audio. (Is that how it usually is done? Or is it advisable to AMA the audio as well, sync first and then transcode?)
Now, is there a way to work with what is left from back-up (sequences, bins, edit) and save time to not manually sync everything again?

Also, If I have no option but to sync everything again, is it advisable to use pluraleyes? If so, any advice on the workflow?

Much thanks in advance. I hope it is clear what i have written.

Return to posts index

Anantha Krishna
Re: Lost hardrive and AVID Media Files Folder with all the transcodes. What next?
on Mar 19, 2016 at 9:45:24 pm

Well it's solved. The above post was so convoluted.

I am just posting myy answer in case some has a similar issue.

Basically I just AMA linked everything, including Audio this time, Transcoded everything to DNXHD36 into a new bin, right clicked on my sequence, and relinked by choosing "Selected Items in open bins" (Including Offline)

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Lost hardrive and AVID Media Files Folder with all the transcodes. What next?
on Mar 20, 2016 at 4:22:00 pm

Glad it all worked properly. I find many Avid users are unwilling to take the time to learn how the relink tool works. It is very powerful, and as you have discovered, can save your bacon.

Media management workflow is a huge part of the process.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]