FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freelance avid editor rate in London?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tonhito De Poi
Freelance avid editor rate in London?
on Mar 16, 2016 at 5:09:22 pm

Hello all,

I've been contacted to edit a 2h feature documentary in London and I'm kind of lost regarding how much should be my rate for this project. I have almost 10 years of experience as TV and documentary editor but I'm new in the UK and I don't know what is the norm.
The production company is asking me to do it for £100-120 per day but I'm already charging 140-160 per day for smaller projects like music videos or adverts.
I'll be editing in their studio, so I won't charge for any type of equipment.
They say the project is low budget but they used Red and Alexa cameras and they are planning on releasing the film on cinema and DVD.
I heard that some people charge around £230 per day but I don't know if that is because they edit in their own suite.

Could some nice Londoner advice, please?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Freelance avid editor rate in London?
on Mar 20, 2016 at 4:35:38 pm

I'm not from London, but i'm sure you will soon discover every editor has their own rate.

You've pretty much answered your own question. You have your rate...around 150 a day.
They have expressed their budget...around 120 a day.

How badly do you want the job?

Are you willing to drop your rate for a longer term project? (not unheard of to have a lower rate after a booking reaches a certain number of days)

I personally don't have different rates for whether or not my equipment is used. I have a rate, and that is what I quote people. From there, like many business transactions, the negotiation can begin.

[Tonhito De Poi] "I heard that some people charge around £230 per day but I don't know if that is because they edit in their own suite."

Are you on par with those editors? Most cities have A-list editors and B-list editors and so on.
This doesn't necessarily make them better editors, but in this world, reputation can drive a lot of business decisions as well.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]