FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOV files transfer to MOV files? :)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
MOV files transfer to MOV files? :)
on Mar 15, 2016 at 5:30:37 pm

Just jumped into Avid after 17 years. Working with MC 8.4.2

I imported some MOV files thinking they'd just pop in the bin as with FCPX and APP CC. I noticed long transcoding for each file. Am I messing up? Or is it creating a separate MOV file to work with? I was wondering why it did anything at all except drag and drop since in my bin it still says .mov.
I know iMovie does that, so I'm used to it. I just sort of get tense when I realize how much space it's taking up. Avid Newbie so sorry for the question if it's been answered. I did do a search, but didn't find this exact issue.

Thanks.
Vinnie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MOV files transfer to MOV files? :)
on Mar 15, 2016 at 7:05:49 pm

You are doing things wrong. You are working in Avid like you would in other applications, and it doesn't work like that.

First off, if you drag and drop, then you are IMPORTING the media...and importing converts to MXF files and is putting it into the Avid file structure. It says "MOV" because that's part of the clip's name.

If you want to access that media directly, like FCX and Adobe does, you use something called AMA LINK. That's Avid Media Access...but just AMA (although it's now called LINK in Avid 8.5). In the FILE menu you choose AMA LINK and then nagivate to where the files are located. Make sure to choose the Quicktime AMA plugin manually...often the AUTODETECT doesn't work. If you don't have that, you need to download and install that here:

https://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Media-Access

Then you have clips in the bins that point directly to the quicktime files.

NOTE...Avid doesn't do well editing with AMA linked files. Some formats better than others, for sure. and smaller projects...less media...even better. But Avid prefers Avid media...so it's always best to transcode or consolidate the media after you link to it. H.264 files are very tough to edit, but ProRes is easier. But still, best to transcode...or as I said, CONSOLIDATE if the media has an Avid supported codec (ProRes, XDCAM). Otherwise, transcode to DnxHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
Re: MOV files transfer to MOV files? :)
on Mar 16, 2016 at 5:50:49 pm

Thanks Mr. Ross, very helpful!

Vinnie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved