FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace master clip audio with WAV file?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Michaels
Replace master clip audio with WAV file?
on Mar 14, 2016 at 12:08:24 am

Hi! I was hoping for some advice to improve my workflow:

Typically, I'll receive an HDCAM SR with picture and no audio. We need picture right away, so I'll ingest the tape with the number of audio channels I expect to receive later (although they are MOS for now) and hand that off for the editors to begin cutting. Then we send the tape out for audio layback. Once I get the tape back with audio on it, I'll offline the MOS channels in Avid and batch capture just the audio. This way, any edited footage is magically updated with sound. It works fine, BUT since this is all tape based, it is real-time to ingest video, and then real-time AGAIN to ingest updated audio (not to mention transit time for tape delivery).

If I receive WAV files of the updated audio instead (BWAVs with timecode that corresponds to the tape), is there a way I can batch import these WAVs into the existing master clips to update the audio that way? It would be much faster. However, since the master clip originates from the tape, it has a meaningful tape name associated with it, and the WAV files would not. So I imagine this would be one of the issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Replace master clip audio with WAV file?
on Mar 14, 2016 at 2:36:54 pm

You should be able to do an audio auto sync based on timecode, between the imported wave files and previously captured video files.

Same as a film shoot, audio comes in from one system, video from another. Might depend what version of Avid you are running.

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Mar 14, 2016 at 2:41:12 pm

Thank you for the response!

I seem to remember that creates subclips though, and what I'm looking to do is to "update" the master clip itself, because our editors have already began to cut with the footage (they maintain the MOS channels at first), so ideally the updated audio flows right in to their timelines as it does currently with the re-ingest from tape.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 14, 2016 at 3:32:13 pm

You can relink your edit to the new sublips, and the new audio will swap out the old audio.

From there you continue to use the new subclips for all future edits.
(How much editing are you doing if you can't hear the audio?)

I suppose you could also arrange with the audio guy to deliver you a wave file that is specifically from a pre arranged set of timecodes. You could then digitize that timecode span in your original tape digitize, output that audio as a "temp" wave file...reimport it and sync it with your tape video.

When the final audio arrives, batch reimport your audio, but point it to the new wave file. If the timecodes match up, it should work.

(I would just auto sync and relink)

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]