FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the best export settings and technique PERIOD for Youtube and Vimeo out of AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
What are the best export settings and technique PERIOD for Youtube and Vimeo out of AVID
on Mar 12, 2016 at 8:21:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Every time I export anything, Youtube or Vimeo claims it has difficulty identifying the file. Typically I'm just trying to export a 1080p H.264. Now I use many systems in my process including Davinci Resolve, Media Composer (Symphony), Quicktime and whatever my offline editors are using. I typically run offline cuts through Davinci and out to Media Composer and then Export an H.264 at BEST settings from there and then create a 1080 version from Quicktime. I have a Matrox MXO2 Mini Max unit that I just had repaired so I want to integrate that as well but still...What is hands down the BEST export method there is? Part of me thinks I should run it back through Davinci but I worry about the audio. Same as source and then over to Apple compressor?

I just want my files to look the BEST on Youtube (yes I know compression there sucks too) and have it be accepted without claiming it doesnt comprehend the file type.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: What are the best export settings and technique PERIOD for Youtube and Vimeo out of AVID
on Mar 12, 2016 at 8:30:07 pm

Unfortunately your question would tend to presume that someone on this forum can and will claim that their technique is "The best!!!period!!! end of discussion!!!! and nobody can contradict it!!!"

That is not how anything in this world works.

What is the best?
who is the judge?

If you create the highest possible quality out of any of your programs, and want to upload that 2TB file up to youtube to let it recompress it, I suppose you could say the is the best it can be...but I'm sure someone will say "nope, It could be better"

Do some tests, find a workflow that works for you, where you are happy with the results, and move on.

Personally, I don't upload to Youtube, and my Vimeo account only goes to 960x540 at 5600...so that is what I upload.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terry Leahy
Re: What are the best export settings and technique PERIOD for Youtube and Vimeo out of AVID
on Mar 12, 2016 at 8:34:27 pm

Ok, how about this.

What are the best export settings that have worked for YOU in getting 1080p media to Youtube in it's highest quality coming from an Avid timeline.

No Sleight against my fellow man or their computer system etc. I am just looking to hear responses in a purely democratic environment.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Mar 12, 2016 at 9:08:10 pm

Same As Source, then a third party encoder. I like Squeeze, but Adobe Media Encoder and Compressor should have great presets as well. Never do H264 (or any custom codec) straight from MC, since it will use old slow 32bit Quicktime to do the conversion, often with gamma-du-jour. Way more control over this when using apps like Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 13, 2016 at 9:03:00 am

Just as Job says.
Same as source export then squeeze.
No point trying to do it within MC

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 14, 2016 at 11:43:49 am

We use Same As Source Export but upload that directly to YouTube which accepts DNxHD codec. It can be a lengthy upload - typically our videos are 5 minutes or less. YouTube may not have the 2 GB limit anymore - I do not know for sure as I am not the person who uploads any longer. If I were uploading ling form then I would run SAS from Avid through Sorenson to highest acceptable bitrate that I feel I could get away with, probably H.264 codec. This is our workflow, not claiming it is the best and certainly not the only way.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 14, 2016 at 1:59:42 pm

I do Save as Source but at times I have to move the final file somewhere else to avoid the long compression times (for long format) so I go with best possible ProRes/DNxHR.
I then use Adobe Media Encoder.
The options for YouTube and Vimeo on that are bang on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]