how to fix corrupted media?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Ehrlich
how to fix corrupted media?
on Mar 6, 2016 at 1:01:55 am

Hi guys,
once again I need some help...

Yesterday I tried to export an OMF-file and had an error that kept interfering with my export (domain copy-in failed). Eventually I figured out that this was due to a corrupted audio file, and after a sleepless night I even managed locate the file. But now what do I do? Is there a way to fix it? I tried batch importing it, but it still wont work when I try to OMF-export it.
Thanks
Jonathan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: how to fix corrupted media?
on Mar 6, 2016 at 2:31:12 am

How was the file created in the first place? And why the need for OMF? OMF has been replaced by AAF. What are you trying to achieve?

Michael

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ehrlich
on Mar 6, 2016 at 5:42:49 am

Hey Michael.
I imported the file the "old fashioned " way (not AMA), as I did with all the media in the project. Only this one file is problematic. The sound editor needs the OMF, he insists that it must be an OMF file not an AAF file.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 6, 2016 at 4:30:59 pm

Well you could make a new audio file.

Take your original audio file that won't export, and spit it out as a new wave file. Import that wave into the project, and cut it into your sequence where needed.

If that file was the problem, your omf export should work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 6, 2016 at 4:39:30 pm

Not knowing the nature of the original file, but it seems that if everything was imported, you just need to delete media (not the clip) from the one problem clip and batch import the camera/sound original into it and everything will update.

Unless your sound guy is on a fairly old version of Pro Tools, I still question the need for OMF as AAF carries more info for them to use. I'm not saying this is the case here, but I have ran into many sound post folks who ask for OMF out of habit. Older version of Pro Tools were better optimized for OMF wrapped WAV files but that too is no longer the case and unless you set your project up that way to to start, you really have MXF wrapped PCM represented by AAF. You can always switch back to an SD project and remake your audio media to be WAV and export OMF...

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 6, 2016 at 7:42:30 pm

I've had instances where it was in fact a corrupt audio dissolve rather than the actual audio file. Have you tried removing any transitions and then exporting? It's likely your audio mixer will want to redo them himself anyway,

Also, I'm with Michael on this. Unless you are dealing with a 10 yr. old version of ProTools, an AAF should not be a problem and could actually be better in many scenarios. Most people just ask for OMF out of habit. Avid invented the OMF format and they have pretty much moved on from it long ago. That being said, OMF vs. AAF may not have anything to do with the issue you are having,

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ehrlich
on Mar 8, 2016 at 6:28:17 am
Last Edited By Jonathan Ehrlich on Mar 8, 2016 at 6:28:58 am

thanks for all your replies guys. The problem was in the MXF, not in the original file. Batch importing didn't work but deleting and re-importing the infected MXF solved the problem. Not sure why this made the difference, maybe because batch importing means that Avid rewrites certain components of the media while keeping other settings from the old media.

As to the big question of OMF vs AAF, you guys are probably right. But if the sound guy prefers this I won't argue with him. As long as he does his job and delivers the sound to everyone's satisfaction. If it is technically possible to create an OMF, I will do that for him. In my case, if the OMF hadn't worked after the troubleshooting, I would probably have convinced him to accept an AAF. But luckily I didn't have to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]