FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it worth it to buy outright?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Is it worth it to buy outright?
on Mar 4, 2016 at 4:05:42 am

I'm considering purchasing Avid Media Composer but I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for it, so I was thinking about buying it outright. Is it worth it to do that?

At some point the software would become non-upgradable, and I'm not sure if this matters or not. I just want to learn the program, edit some stuff on it, and be able to put on my resume that I can use Avid.

What do other people think? Do you really need the upgrades? Are you fine with eventually having an outdated version because it's still really useful? Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Jeff Cue
Re: Is it worth it to buy outright?
on Mar 4, 2016 at 4:59:26 am

If you could guarantee you'd only use X version of Avid with X version of your computer in its current config, then yes you could get by without ever having to do Avid upgrades. But eventually, you'll probably want to upgrade your OS or Avid will come out with some cool thing in an upgrade...and that's when you start having issues with software that's stuck in time. I've owned my Avid software for many years and never regretted it...it's pretty much the only platform I use, other than an occasional spin on an old Final Cut Pro machine. As a small business owner, it's a good expense tax-wise and nowhere near the most expensive thing I have to spend money on year-to-year.

Jeff C.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 4, 2016 at 7:02:19 am

[Bobby Hall] "At some point the software would become non-upgradable, and I'm not sure if this matters or not. I just want to learn the program, edit some stuff on it, and be able to put on my resume that I can use Avid."

The software becomes non-upgradeable 12 months after you buy it (unless you spend $299 to buy another annual maintenance contract). If you just want to edit some stuff with it so you can say you know how to use it I would just subscribe for a few months.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 4, 2016 at 1:21:25 pm

Buying it is the only way you will keep a functioning version of the application should you choose to stop paying for upgrade support which is $299/year after the first 12 months (really 13 as you have a month grace period). If after that time period you choose not to upgrade you can keep running your system for as long as the operating system, etc. are supported. I have one system that run on Win 7 and has been that way for many years. Apple on the other hand updates quite frequently and changes things that tend to force you to move to newer versions of MC just to run.

If got some reason you let your support contract lapse and it is after the 12 months + 1 month grace period, then you have to buy another license. There is no updating your existing license so now you have two of them.

Only in the perpetual license case do you have the option to buy a dongle rather than use software licensing. I believe that is an additional one time cost of $500.

Anything else is a month to month with discounts for yearly commits.

If you just want to learn it for resume type listing, then, as suggested, you're probably better off with the 30 day free trial and a monthly.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 5, 2016 at 4:59:21 pm

Depends on your needs and goals. Personally, if you can afford the purchase price, and can justify the perchase price for a job or two that will help pay for it, then I would purchase it. I have two current dongles, plus a 7.* license and a few older licenses as well...5.5 and maybe even a dongle for 3.5 somewhere.

I've loaded the 7. license up on other computers to do low res transcodes. The 5.5 licenses are totally in active, but I could certainly use them to cut with if need be.

The current licenses are obviously my workhorse, but because I own them, if I ever decide I only need to update 1 of them, the other will certainly be useful for years to come.

Scour these forums and you will find all sorts of editors using all sorts of license versions. That's one of the best things about Avid...they don't totally lock you out if your version becomes less then current.

That being said, if you purely just want to learn the program, and you don't have any paying customers willing to fund your exercise, then a few months worth of rental might be the way to go until you get established. But at some point, I would want to have the ability to quit paying monthly fees, but still be able to use my software. I'm not a huge fan of that pricing model at all.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Mar 6, 2016 at 2:38:52 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would also like to just own the program and keep it forever without having to constantly pay for updates, but I guess that's not really possible!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 6, 2016 at 2:44:45 am

It is possible as long as you are willing to stay on a supported OS. It is $1,299. Buy it, it comes with whatever updates in the next 12 months, then that will be the version it stays at.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 7, 2016 at 11:33:29 pm

[Bobby Hall] "
Thanks for the replies everyone. I would also like to just own the program and keep it forever without having to constantly pay for updates, but I guess that's not really possible!"

AFAIK the only NLE that has a 'buy once, get free updates forever" policy is Apple.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 8, 2016 at 12:34:25 am

Or DaVinci Resolve.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]